How the heck did I wind up in this mess?

Bolin led Ling Ling and Mei from one road to another until they were stopped. Mr. Chanchu's goons cornered them everywhere, closing in until they trapped all three of them in a tight circle.

Bolin spread his protective stance, "common now, you all know you can't touch her without my permission."

The goons gave no response, they neither pursued or let them escape. They just stood there like a living wall of ogre until Mr. Chanchu appeared from the corner.

The buttons on his suit looked like they were about to explode. Mr. Chanchu sucked a deep breath. His legs weren't meant for running, they were meant for hopping but he'll be damned if he got on the ground and start hopping like a frog.

"What's the meaning of this, Bolin?" He asked as he elbowed his way inside the circle.

"Bolin?" Ling Ling looked up at Bolin inquiringly. "You know him?"

Bolin swallowed nervously, he has a lot to explain to both Ling Ling and Mr. Chanchu and he knows it. "Calm down, Ling Ling." He murmured quietly only for him and her to hear. "I got this under control."

Mr. Chanchu stopped just in front of the handsome ghost. His eyes sharp as he surveyed Ling Ling and Bolin together. He tried to get a whip of her human scent in the air, but it had been masked by her beads. He couldn't smell anything.

Perhaps it was a mistake, he thought. Maybe the girl was a newly dead ghost that's why he confused her for a human. But he couldn't mistake the tasty texture of her flesh, the way it made his mouth watered. That human girl looked very appetizing to eat.

Bolin placed his hand on Ling Ling's shoulder and moved her pressed beside him. He smiled. "Hello, Mr. Chanchu. This is my fiance, Ling Ling."

"Fiance?" Said Mr. Chanchu with his eyes widening. "I didn't know you had a fiance!"

"Ah, yes. I did when I was alive, we were supposed to get married before I died."

"Is that so?"

"Yes," Bolin's smile widened and looked at Ling Ling in the eyes. "Ling Ling here plunged into deep depression and couldn't crawl out of it. She loved me so much she decided to kill herself."

"Eh?" Ling Ling was lost for words how to respond to that.

Mr. Chanchu broke into a wide smile. "Why didn't you say so? And here I am about to make a meal out of her."

He took a step over to Ling Ling and captured her into his embrace.

Ling Ling's knees were instantly liquid as she fought the notion of passing out in his arms.

"I thought you were one of those spirited humans who got lost in the spirit world! Come," He released her from his hug. "Why don't you join me in my place. I'll throw an entire dinner to congratulate you both."

Ling Ling stiffened, this couldn't be good news to her.

First of all, she can't join a spirit who sent his goons after her because she looked appetizing.

Second, she's still alive and she doesn't know how long her bracelet charm is going to keep her smell suppressed.

...And third, she needed to find a way to escape.

Her fingers intertwined in between Bolin's and held his tightly. He looked down at her while her own eyes lifted to meet his. "You're not letting them take me, are you?"

He should know very well the danger of what could happen.