chapter seven

I knew he was following me.

It was strange, how it worked. But the second I felt that gust of wind being blown my way. I just knew it was him.

And I basked in that feeling of otherworldly love and the unspoken words of a lover.

I just didn't understand why he wouldn't approach me. Talk to me. Ask me what I was doing.

The longer I lingered on the streets, the harder the realization hit me. He was trying to keep me safe. Protecting me from whatever scary creatures roamed the streets of New Orleans.

Sighing, I sat down on a bench. I rested my cheek on my knees, hugging my legs close to my chest. Staring at the rising sun, I realized that if I wanted to talk to him, I would have to be the one to approach him. But I didn't want to do that.

I didn't want to watch him run from me.

Fear of rejection, that's what it was.

Still, a girl could hope.

So I sat there for hours, waiting for him to get closer to me or disappear completely. His presence was so powerful, I could just tell if he walked away.

Deep down, I was scared that I was wrong. But who else? Who else could I have loved in my life so much that my body could literally tell if they were close by or not?

There was no other person that I knew of. It just felt right. The sense of familiarity and secureness was too powerful for me to ignore.

Huffing, I put my feet back to the ground. So what if he didn't want to talk to me? It wouldn't affect me in any way. Sure, the rejection stung. And yes, I felt lonely on the empty street, no one other than me sitting on a bench watching the sunrise and him watching me in the shadows. But other than that, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

His loss.

"There you are!" A familiar voice suddenly came from behind me. I turned around and saw Gabriel staring at me, worry etched on his face. Fake.

"I've been gone for almost two days. I think you've known exactly where I've been and purposely stayed away," I said, tilting my head to the side. I channeled the Rose they had told me about. The fierce girl whose wit no one could keep up with.

Except for Kol.

I scowled. There I go, thinking about him again.

"Why would I do that, love?" Gabriel asked, sitting down next to me.

"You know I found out you lied to me," I said, hands clasped in front of me. "You know I want to rip your head off for lying, and you know that the best way to deal with a pissed off Rose is to stay very far away from her. Isn't that right, Gabriel?" I purred his name, chin high and eyes set on him.

"You've forgiven me before, I think you have it in you to do it once more," Gabriel replied.

Damn, he was good. He knew I would want to know what he knew, and eventually give in and let myself be a pawn in his game.

I faked curiosity. Fine. I'll let him think he's won this one. In due time, he would find out it's my game he's playing, and I would not lose.

"I don't know what you're talking about, and you know that," I said, crossing my arms and glaring at the building in front of me. "You're not being fair."

He slid closer to me, breath fanning on my neck. I felt his mouth on the tip of my ear. It took every ounce of power in my body to not recoil, to stay put and see what he would do next.

"I've never played fair. You know that, Rose."

"Oh, Gabriel," I sighed, turning my head so that I was facing him. My lips were no more than an inch from his. "If only you had been truthful." My lips brushed against his as I spoke. He saw this as an invitation to put his hands on my waist.

Where are you, Kol? Do something.

"Now, where's the fun in that?" He asked, his other hand gripping my chin harshly. He was trying to keep me in place.

"I love games." Ten seconds. And then I'm out.

"I love you," Gabriel said, lips meeting mine in a kiss. I almost recoiled away from him right then and there.

Seven more seconds.

I placed one hand on his knee, moving my lips against his.

Five.

He lifted me onto his lap so that I was now straddling him. I rubbed my pelvis against his agonizingly slow.

Three.

He bucked his hips into mine, a groan escaping his lips. I tried to find pleasure in what we were doing, but all I felt was disgust.

Two.

I jumped as the alarms on all the cars around us went off. I looked around, still on Gabriel's lap, hands on his chest.

"Thank you," I said, smirking as I ripped his hands off my hips. "You just helped me prove something," I added, getting up from him. I wiped my lips on the back of my hands.

"What?" He asked, confused. He stood up as well, staring at me as if I just spoke another language.

"I'm not stupid, Gabriel. It's not that easy to fool me. Next time you even think about coming close to me, remember I have two powerful vampires and three witches on my side that will gladly get you off my hands."

He looked dumbfounded as I turned around, middle finger in the air. It sent the message I needed.

Leave me the fuck alone.

<><><><><><><><><><>

my girl rose is finding her inner bitch.
finally, i'm tired nice and confused rose.

what do you think is gonna happen next?

and whoops i'm all out of prewritten chapters. see ya next month!