All Night - 9.1

Annabelle's POV

The morning had passed by in a blur. I had gotten dressed in my most acceptable clothes, as all I had been given were mostly all comfortable lounge clothing. I sadly put on the collar that Jace had lain out for me. Jace had assured me once I came back that it was just for looks, and wasn't like the one at the party, that could stop me from shifting.

At the moment I was waiting on the bed for Jace to come back. Nervously, I may add. I hadn't been to town in what seemed like forever. After the new laws, my mom and dad stopped bringing me to town with them – if they ever went. It was too much of a risk to have me off of the farm. 

Jace strutted into the room, he almost seemed to be nervous too. "Ready to go?" He asked, his voice hard.

I nodded.

"Flynn, the one who brought you to me, he will be coming with us today. I didn't want to bring any guards, but someone close to me instead, so Flynn will suffice."

I nodded. I remembered Flynn. I was with him briefly, but he brought me here, which I was grateful for, rather than bringing me to a blood bank or selling me off to be a slave. Although my stay with Jace was rough originally, it had gotten a lot better.

I slowly got down from the bed, and looked questionably at the hand outstretched for me. After a few seconds passed, Jace sighed and put his hand down, motioning me to follow him out the bedroom door. It was then I realized he had wanted to take my hand!

I felt bad, he was literally reaching out to me and I wasn't taking the hint. I followed him out the door, shuffling behind him. He was walking about a stride ahead of me down the hallway, so I quickly stepped up my pace, so I'd be by his side.

Apprehensively, I reached out, and placed my small hand in his. I felt him tense up, and then relax almost immediately – never looking down at me. So I looked up at him, and I could see a small smile on the edge of his lips.

......

We reached the door, and I stepped through, the cool air stinging my face and my lungs. It had gotten warmer since I had last been outside, but it was still chilly, yet the breath of fresh air felt nice. Jace stopped walking so I closed my eyes, just breathing in the fresh air, the fresh scents. Oh how badly I wanted to turn into a horse, a brilliant white horse, and just run. Just run and feel the air on my body, and feel strong. Just like I had when I was younger. I was pulled out of my fantasy as a sleek black car pulled up outside the castle. It was shiny and new looking, and as we were standing there, an older gentlemen emerged from the driver's side.

"Hello Annabelle, I hope you're doing well." A voice that was just slightly deeper than Jace's said from behind me. I jumped slightly and moved closer to Jace side, whose hand I was still gripping.

I could feel a chuckle ripple throughout Jace and I spun my head and saw Flynn standing with a smug look behind me.

Jace let go of my hand, and strangely I felt more exposed, less protected. It was then, and I wonder if the shock was evident on my face, that after everything we had been through that first week, maybe I do trust him. At least maybe I trust him to keep me safe from the other monsters.

I could hear Jace talking to the driver as Flynn leaned around my still body to open the door, and as he did so, he whispered in my ear. "I knew he would take to you; I just didn't know it would be this quickly that you would take to him." He chuckled and hopped in the car.

I hopped the blush wasn't too evident on my face as I slowly followed him in.

.......

The ride was short to the town. I was sitting in between Jace and Flynn, so I was disappointed that I wasn't able to see out the window too well. It had been a long time since I had been 'out' so I had wanted to see the towns as we passed by. We pulled into a parking lot and I saw we were at a shopping mall.

Shopping malls were extremely large places where witches, vampires and other magical creatures would run shops and other forms of entertainment and consumerist items. There used to be a lot of shifter and werewolf run shops as well, but those were all closed down, from what I had heard.

Flynn got out one side, and Jace grabbed my hand before I could move, "I'll let you sit by the window on the way home." He then pulled me out of the car from his side, and I looked up at the large building. I had actually never been to this mall before. I only went to the small market close to town with my family, where there were basically only other witch families. I had rarely been across my own kind before.

Gripping onto Jace's hand, we walked towards the mall. I self-consciously pulled at my collar around neck – remembering that TV message I had seen weeks prior.

"Fights have broken out in the west side of the country, it seems that a new resistance has been found and they have been getting stronger. Right now we are looking at ways to keep them under control, but the werewolves and shifters are multiplying. This could lead to drastic numbers. As of now, anyone involved will be shot on sight. All unattended werewolves or shifters will be shot on sight."

I held onto Jace's hand tighter.

.........

EDITED

I updated!!

Next update coming Monday! So y'all won't have to wait long to see how the mall trip goes!

I just want to say thank you for all of the positive comments, all of those wonderful comments on my last chapter is what made me want to give you guys more quicker 💕

So comment away!
Like and let me know what you think!
(I'm always up for constructive criticism!!) or if you love it let me know!

Thanks for reading!

And for a fun question!

What is your favourite movie of all time? (Mine is Princess Bride)

- k 💕