three

||CHAPTER 3||《¤》

||CHAPTER 3||
《¤》

Last hour of the school, and what better way than to be spending it in the principal's office?

Mrs Dongra leant back against her chair, observing me like a with a chilling scrutiny. "First day blues already, Ms. Deewan?"

"You can call it that," I said, standing in front of her desk.

"You're an eleventh grader, Ms. Deewan. These petty fights aren't expected from you."

"And this is a school, Mam. I don't expect the students gossiping about me in my presence!"

"Would you rather have them talk behind your back, then?"

I would, but they were doing a measly job of that too. When word spread about my acquaintance with the English teacher, they surely didn't bother about manners.

"With all due respect, ma'am, I'd rather have them minding their own business. I'm sure spreading rumors about why I'm back in Delhi doesn't account for the eleventh standard syllabus."

I know I should be apologizing, but for what exactly? Harsh criticisms about me didn't affect me so much, but they were talking about my mother.

Mrs. Dongra softened a little. "Arvika, I understand that this is a hard time for you and adjusting here is going to take time. But this is a school. I understand that what you must be going through isn't other people's business, but I'm pretty sure you too have a reputation to keep up. You're from the Deewan family, and you are expected to deal with such things in a different manner. Newspapers and media will keep churning out rumors, it's their job. Your's is to not pay heed to them."

"They were talking about my mother."

"Tomorrow they will be talking about someone else. You need to control your temper."

I hadn't even laid a finger on the girl who had ended me up here. All I had done was accidentally spill orange juice over her fresh white uniform. It was the taunt that followed that turned my accident into intention, though.

The telephone on Mrs. Dongra's desk rang and she picked it up. "Yeah, send them in." Turning to me, "Since this is your first time, I'm letting you off with a warning. But the next time won't be so pleasant."

And so, just like little kids are taught, I stared at the glossy gray floor and mumbled an apology. "I'm sorry."

The temperature difference between the Cabin and the Reception hit me before Ishita's presence did. "I'm assuming you're off the hook?"

"And I'm assuming that you are bunking Maths," I replied as we started to jog up the steps to the third floor.

"The Math faculty is really dangerous here," She breathed out. "You know, you and Arnav are so different."