Chapter XXXVI

It's been 4 weeks since Nana died. Nana didn't make it. 

It broke our hearts when we heard the news. The neighborhood sent us their condolences and their pure broken hearts to offer us a nice casserole. My mother was depressed, I know she was. Even though Nana isn't really her real mom, she still considered her as her own mother.

I remember the story when my mom used to tell me that her parents abandoned her and Nana were there to pick her up from the ground when she was at the most desperate moment. Nana loved her with all her heart and my mom loved her with all her heart as well, I guess my mom wasn't ready to let her go.

Since it's not yet her time to go.

Because she was shot. "We need to pack up once again, we need to leave this town. I know it's Trevor's fault why she died," Dad said as he continues to fold his clothes and stack them inside the bag. "We're not safe here."

"I just hope none of us is the next target," Mom said with a sad face as she helps my dad fold our clothes to leave the house at around midnight.

My dad was planning on moving to another state, he wanted to move to Iowa and I really don't want to leave this town yet. I will miss my friends, I will miss Nana's house, I will miss our old house and especially, I will miss Nana.

She lies near the old Christmas tree farm, where we usually get our trees for Christmas. It was a tradition for us to get Christmas trees during December 15th, decorate it then bake some Christmas cookies even though it's not yet Christmas.

"Are your things packed already, Felicity?" I looked at my dad and I nodded my head in his response. "Do you still need anything to be packed?" He asked once again.

"I don't know, I guess that will be all the things that I'll be needing," He nodded his head and looked at my mom who is worrying about our lives. He walked towards mom and placed his hands on her shoulders. "Calm down, I'm here, okay?" 

Dad said and mom nodded her head as dad gives her a peck on the cheek. "Oh and make sure there will be no documents left behind," Dad said and my mom nodded as she left the room.

"Hailey? Are you leaving?"  I turned around and saw Ethan enter the room where me and my dad was as he tightens his grip on the teddy bear I gave him when I was 8 which I won at the arcades.

"Ethan, I told you not to come up there when they are packing," His mom said as I heard footsteps on the stairs, rushing towards the bedroom we are at, "I'm so sorry Arthur, do you need some help with those to stuff it in your car?" 

"It's alright Martha, thanks for the help," Dad said as he glanced at Marthe, Ethan's mom and stared back at the luggage and continues packing our stuff until there was nothing left on the house that was needed.

I went downstairs with Ethan, grabbed an apple and head outside for some fresh air. We started strolling down the neighborhood as I look at the sun that is starting to set. I walked quietly, not wanting to speak and not knowing what to say.

"I can't believe you're leaving," He said, making us stop in our tracks. I looked at him with sad eyes, trying to contain my eyes from crying, "I'm going to miss you so much."

I hugged him and couldn't contain my eyes anymore. I cried on his shoulder, enjoying and welcoming the warmth of his embrace as I look at the sun. How I wish time would also freeze at this moment, where I feel safe in Ethan's arms.

"I'm going to miss you too," I said as I wiped off the tears from my eyes. The embrace broke as I continue wiping my eyes to dry it off, I offered him a warm smile and he returned it.