Part One

Winslow and Silver are human.

[Winslow]

"Good luck on your first day in high school sweetie!" Mom shouted through the car window, blowing a kiss at me which I then try to catch.

"By mom! Love you!" I yelled back.

Well, this is it. Primary school is now over and done with. But that was child's play, my real education begins today, here, in Beacontown High School.

The school is a rather large blocky-style building, mostly comprising of chiseled quartz which meant it easily blended in with the snowy taiga biome it is situated in and the soft gentle snow falling from the thick cloudy duvet. The front yard was tarmac and several people of my age, all wearing thick coats, were running around or chatting or whatever they were doing.

I zipped up my orange and black jacket and gripped the straps on my rucksack as I stepped through the frozen front gate where I was quickly greeted by my good friend Jesse, who quickly put his hand up for a high five.

"Winslow! You never told me you were coming here!" He said, starting our signature best friends handshake, which frankly, is extremely embarrassing to go into detail about.

"To be fair, there isn't another school here for like, miles, so you should already know," Jesse scratched his neck.

"I guess so. Anyway come on, everybody else is here!"

Jesse took me to a round wooden bench where everybody was gathered; Reuben was cuddling with his girlfriend Benedict (I wonder what kind of wacko names get daughter after a boy's name...), Lukas was sipping from a mug of hot cocoa that Jessica gave him, Petra was dusting snowflakes off her hair (where's her bandanna?) and Lluna, a new girl we first met at primary school, was building a snowman with Jessica.

Lukas was first to notice me, and he frantically waved at me, to which I waved back while keeping one of my hands in my pocket. Jesse went over and hugged Petra, Lukas moved up slightly so I could sit down.

"Long time no see guys!" I said, clasping Lukas's hand and shaking it. "How are things going for you Lukas?"

"Everything's cool, I still haven't told Jessica how I feel about her yet so heh, she thinks we're still just friends and all that..." I scoffed and smacked his shoulder.

"Come on man, that girl is literally waiting for you to notice her. Go on already dammit!" Lukas rolled his eyes and drank the rest of his cocoa, slamming the mug onto the frosty wooden table.

"Hey guys by the way, apparently there's this new girl in school now. And she's apparently super cute, her name is Silver," said Jesse, instantly grabbing my and Lukas's attention.

"Yeah, she just moved into town a week ago, she's also super hot," Reuben added. I folded my arms and hummed quietly as I absorbed the vague description of this new girl named Silver.

"Hey! There she is!" exclaimed Jesse, pointing excitedly at- oh my gosh... oh. My. Gosh... is that a real-life angel I'm looking at right now?

I was looking directly at a girl whom I assume is Silver, and oh my gosh is she just beautiful. She wore a thick mink coat, colourful leg warmers, white snow boots, and cute fluffy mittens on her hands. She had silky snow white hair and her skin was pale like Lukas's. She wore an excited smile on her rosy red lips and her silvery eyes glimmered like diamonds.

Lukas was first to notice that I was lovestruck by her, and that I was frozen in place like I had gazed at Medusa. So he harshly nudged me on the shoulder and I snapped out of my trance.