Chapter Six

*Warning! Once again, I am reiterating that I am not familiar with the study of Nursing so please remember that this is a work of complete Fiction - it is all made up and should not be related to the real word. 

Chapter Six – Ice Creams & Swings

I'm rushing up the steps to the Nursing building when I hear someone call my name. Turning slightly, I wait for Eva to catch up before greeting her. She looks beautiful in a baby pink blouse with little birds on it and black denim jeans. Her blonde hair is curled to perfection and rests on her shoulders.

"Hey, how was work?" She greets, looping her arm through mine as we walk inside.

"It was good, I was busy assisting one of the doctors today so I had fun. What about you?" I ask as I open a door that lead into a long hallway.

"Meh, it was mostly filing paperwork and taking calls." She shrugs as we make our way into a room.

I open my assigned locker and pull out a uniform consisting of a white shirt with black slacks. We have a practical class once every week and this clothing was necessary as we are going to be spending our time in the labs this morning. None of us seem to mind as it is comfortable.

"Did you walk here?"

"Yeah, the shop still hasn't called me about my bike yet." I sigh, walking into the cubicle to change.

"You could have called Maddox, Lu. He was in college since seven this morning, I'm sure he would have picked you up." Eva grunts as she changes in the cubicle next to me.

"That's okay. It was just a thirty-minute walk so I didn't mind." I reply, unlocking the door and making my way to the locker to put my neatly folded clothes in before shutting it.

Eva follows behind and does the same before we walk out of the room and down the hallway to the Health Assessment Lab. This is where we demonstrate our knowledge of all that we have learned in class by tending to patients, who are volunteers from the other group. I like this practical the most as I find it easy compared to the Self-Directed Assessment.

That is where we are given dummies as patients and we must carry out a vast number of tests and procedures without supervision. My heart would always race in fear of doing something wrong since supervisors would be walking up and down the room, observing us. Although it was nerve-wracking having them stop and stare at what we were doing without making a comment, I eventually slip into a comfortable state during the middle of the lab work and almost forget that they are there.

Today we have a practical class where we apply our clinical skills that we learned. Eva and I walk into the lab that some students from my group are already in. Maddox belongs in the other group but he chooses to volunteer because he has no other class now.

Although we are in the same course, we have branched out into different modules for this year. While Maddox and I have most of our classes together, Eva's schedule is different. But for the labs Eva and I are reunited again.

"Alright group B! You all know your stations; they are the same ones as before. Please start making your way towards your patient and wait until further instructions are given." Dr Cassidy instructs us, four supervisors standing by a desk behind her.

I whisper goodbye to Eva and hurry over to my patient. Today there is a petite girl in the bed with red hair and green eyes. She is fair skinned but there are freckles smattered across her nose which only enhance her beauty.