Chapter 4: Invitation

Mariana is currently working on her laptop. Her weekend passed by in a breeze. Her fingers typing 100 words a minute. Her brain's neurons sending signals, double the normal speed.

Mariana is an author. She is working on her second book. Now that she doesn't have endless problems surrounding her, she can really focus on her writing career. Mariana always had two dreams growing up; to become an author and to own her own bakery. Mariana is whole-heartedly thankful one of them came true.

Saving her work, Mariana closes her laptop. Stretching her limbs and yawning, trying to keep her droopy eyes open. Mariana didn't go to sleep last night because of how engrossed she was in typing. Now it is mid-morning and Mariana hasn't cooked herself breakfast yet.

The mouth-watering aroma fills the house while the bacon sizzles to perfection. Her fried-over-medium eggs lay on a plate to the side. A purple mug with chocolate milk inside sits beside it. The hash browns finish as well as the crispy bacon. Setting them on the plate, Mariana turns the stove off.

Mariana's stomach is content after finishing her breakfast. Washing her dishes in a hast, Mariana moves back to her couch and begins to type away again. Her eyes sting for how long she has been looking at her computer screen. Mariana's mind begins to spin. She sighs because she knows she has no choice but to stop typing.

She exits her home and goes to check her mailbox. Mariana really doesn't expect anything since she hasn't even lived in Norway for a week yet. Her expectations are proven wrong when she sees an envelope there. Cautiously she takes the envelope and proceeds back to her house. Mariana takes deep breaths, trying to keep her anxiety under control.

She opens the envelope with the thought of him. Relief floods her veins as she realizes it isn't her lifelong nightmare. Instead, it is the kids that gently attached a string to her heart with them wrapped around the other end. Making herself comfortable on her couch again, she opens it. It is an invitation card.

"Dear Mariana,
        You are invited to attend a dinner gathering Tuesday at Leon's Restaurant.

P.S. Dress Fancy (Kage will be there.)
                           -Rei"

Mariana puts the invitation back in its envelope and places it on the coffee table. She knew she wouldn't feel comfortable if going there. Putting it to the back of her mind. She most likely isn't going to go.

"Your family is more important than some book. You don't need to work."

"You're wasting your time. You don't need to do anything in life unless it's about me."

"Mariana, if you really want to write as a career then, you should go out and experience things. Having some of your own adventures can help."

"My own adventures..." Mariana trails off.

Nodding her head, she re-reads the invitation again. She needs to experience new things. No matter how small they are. That's exactly what Mariana was going to do. Even if her anxiety consumes her.

That following morning a certain young girl was standing at her doorstep. A bright smile plaster on her face. Mariana looks her with question and tiredness in her eyes. Goosebumps rising at the chilly morning air surrounding her.

"Hello, Mariana." Rei greets.

"Hello."

"I want to make sure you are coming to the dinner tonight."

"Yes, I am."

"Great! Do you have a dress to wear?" Mariana nods. "May I come inside and see it."

Mariana couldn't say 'no'. Rei is too sweet and kind. Despite the want to her back to bed, she lets Rei come inside. The two head upstairs.

Truth be told, Mariana never decided on any dress. She knew she had brought a few. It doesn't take her to find the three dresses. Laying them out on her bed, she turns towards Rei.

"I haven't actually decided."

"Can I pick?"

Mariana only nods in response. Letting the girl take her time deciding.  Mariana excuses herself and heads downstairs. Taking out ingredients to make breakfast. Starting up the coffee machine, Mariana heads back to her room.

"Did you decided?"

"Yes, this one!" Mariana gives a soft smile as an agreement. "Kage will especially think you  look beautiful."

Mariana doesn't say anything. She doesn't want to think about him. If she does then she might rethink her decision of her going. Putting the two other dresses away, Mariana gently takes the chosen dress from Rei's hands and set it down.

"Let's go downstairs. I figured you didn't eat yet. Would you like some breakfast?"

"Yes, please!" Both exit the room with one thing in mind. Dinner.