The Mansion

(Diana's POV)

I had been happy. Right until he told me he was blind. Right until I discovered the fangs.

What's really going on?" I asked. He stood like a stick as if he was afraid of bending, breaking. A statute-like expression made him unapproachable. I couldn't blame him. I'd been blind by birth, he'd just lost his eyesight. How could one deal with it? How could he? He was used to being the revered King. And, now...I just wanted to give him a hug. My heart broke for him. I took a step towards him. I would give him the hug no matter what he thought of me.

What was that smell? I sniffed the air. It was coming from him. This wasn't the first time his scent had attacked me like a hungry wolf. But, this time, it was strong. So damn strong that I didn't feel as if it I could resist it.

I looked at him. He was oblivious to the changes in me. The flush, the desire, the longing. I felt sick. I was sweating. My heart was responding to the beat in his body. I could hear his heart going boom boom....It was getting faster. How was I hearing it? It was the switch. I was now a vampire with heightened senses. That meant, in the past, he'd known each time I'd got excited, lost my breath at his nearness. He hadn't said a word then, but apparently, he'd known. How was it possible to not like a person yet desire him this much?

I was on a tight leash, nothing could and would hold my attention right now, except for the scent. I was drawn to it like it was life and death. It was killing me. I sniffed the fragrance around him. It was the perfume of euphoria. I had been drawn to him before, but not like this, never like this. This was something else. It was an otherworldly experience. I licked my lips. I could feel the flow of his blood, running thick and scarlet in his veins. I could almost see its dark color. Taste its distinct tangy taste. The thirst I felt right before running into the dark shadows was nothing compared to this. His blood called to me like it was mine. I took a step towards him. I didn't know that I was doing it. I rose slightly on my toes. The last time I had tried to bite him, I had been unable to pierce his skin. I remembered the disappointment. This time he wasn't getting away from me. He was too tall but I stretched my neck. I touched the tip of my tongue to the sharp edge of my new fangs, my new toy. Blood sipped from the small cut on my tongue. Testing had been successful. The fangs were as sharp as a newly honed blade. I was definitely going to get my blood this time.

"Are you planning to drink from me?" he asked. Was that excitement in his voice? Or derision now that I was a blood drinker myself?

His words brought me to my senses. Yes, that had been my plan. What was I doing?

"Uhm..."

"Great, perhaps you should make the same promise?" he mocked. There was a hint of a smile on his face. Was that a stretch of his perfect lips, touched by the streaks of sunlight?

"What promise?" I asked innocently.

"The one I made to you. No drinking unless I want it?" Yes, now he was smiling. It was very evil what he was doing to me. He had me trapped.

"Of course," I said. I smacked my lips.

"Good because I don't want you to drink from me," he shrugged.

That was a slap in the face. Nothing I hadn't deserved, come to think about it. Still, it hurt. I was new to this and I was a vampire. Shouldn't he, as the ex-Vampire King, be more sympathetic? The asshole was torturing me. I took a few steps back, I had to put distance in between us. I was like a newborn vampire, starved for the treasures of the world. And his blood was at the top of my list.

"But, I want it," I said like a pestering child. I couldn't help it. The temptation was killing me. It was better than chocolate. Better than ice cream. "I'm afraid." I didn't know why I'd blurted it out. I didn't want to be a vampire. I didn't want to be needing blood. I didn't want him to be blind. I wanted to see but not at his expense. That didn't sit well with me. And, what were we going to do about the dark shadows? How would we get away?