Chapter 20

You were finally going into town with Arte. The whole ordeal was tense. Not once had Arte done something like this for anyone. When you arrived at town, no one dared looked at Arte and kept their heads down. His presence was one to be feared. He held you close and you begun analyzing the potential escape routes. For a fact no one was going to help you escape so you needed to work a way to get out of town. You then notice a busy road and look at it.

"Arte what is that?" you say pointing to it. He turns and sees the road as well. 

"Trade caravans go through that road. It is the quickest way to get the goods shipped off. Why are you curious?"

"Never saw one before." you say. You then turn your attentions to somewhere in hopes he hasn't caught on. You spend the rest of the day looking at the towns and other exits. By far, the road where the trade caravans go seemed the most promising but the problem was how you looked. By now people are bound to recognize you. As you wonder what to do about it, Arte grabs a lock of your hair.

"It has gotten longer." he says looking at it. You hair did grow a bit. "It is so beautiful." Then you realize something. If you cut your hair than perhaps escaping will be more easier. You are about to thank Arte for his compliment when you hear screams. You see a woman desperately holding a child near her. Men are trying to separate her from the child. Without thinking you yell.

"Stop!" the men and the woman turn to you. When they see Arte the cower in fear.

"I apologize Emperor Mohned but I bought the woman not the child." says on of the men. You think back to your father. Nothing is more painful than knowing you can't do anything for the ones you love. You turn to Arte.

"Please." you beg him. "Don't separate them. Please." Arte looks at you and then at the woman still holding her child. Finally he says,

"How much did you pay?" The men cower once more and alas the woman and child is bought by him. "They are yours to manage." he says. The woman is still shaking with her child. You walk up to them and smile.

"I won't hurt you." You turn to Arte. "Can we take them home."

"Whatever you wish." you take them back and have them cleaned and fed. Then you free them. Arte found this strange. "I figured you would keep them around for more company."

"She was terrified. More than anything she wanted to keep her child safe. It is difficult to do so when she wasn't feeling safe herself." You turn to Arte. "Do you really need to have slavery. A war is about to occur and one of the reasons is because of this."

"It was because of this system I have you."

"People died from it."

"F/n." he says with a grimace. "We talked about this. I allow control over things but things that involve running the empire are for me to deal with. This is not your place." he then walks out. Esther then comes in.

"I heard what you did at the market." she says trying to lighten up the mood. "That is some bravery you got there." She has you sit down and you confess your feelings.

"I too believe the slave system should be removed."

"You grew up in Roan though."

"But I believe myself to be more of a Vols citizen then Roan. Vols might not be as militaristic but they understand that no one should own anyone else. I support freedom though I won't be able to voice my thoughts aloud here." There is a moment of silence before she says something that throws you off. "Do you consider running away to Vols?