Chapter 21

Lucy POV:

All eyes turn to Heathcliff as Kirito's blade is stopped by the Immortal Object symbol, I look at Asuna as pain flashes over her eyes remembering the last time we saw that symbol.

"What's going on?" I ask walking over.

"I've been suspecting something for a while now, but I wasn't sure until today." Kirito starts.

"What'd you mean Kirito?" Asuna asks.

"Ever since we dueled I thought something wasn't right, your reaction time was too quick. Even for this game, so then I started thinking. What's the fun in making a game and letting other people play it, isn't that right? Akihiko Kayaba." Kirito states holding his sword handle tightly.

My eyes widen as I look at Heathcliff, he's Akihiko Kayaba?! It's his fault that we're all trapped inside the game?

"It can't be..." I say as Heathcliff smirks.

"It is true Master Lucy, and I'm surprised that someone managed to figure it out." He says. "I am also the boss that waits for you all on the 100th floor in the Ruby Palace, I look forward to meeting you all there."

"But, if you're Kayaba then..." I say in disbelief. "You sent out the request for the game..."

"That's true, although when I posted it I had hoped for someone like Titania or the Salamander to take part." He says but then looks me up and down. "But I must say you have flourished here, even created your guild. I knew putting the guild hall into this game was a good choice."

Tears flood my eyes at the thought of him wanting my friends in this game, but what also hurts me is the fact that he had a specific person in mind when he posted the job. I go and take another step closer when something happens to my body, my limbs stop working and I collapse to the ground. The same thing begins to happen to everyone apart from Kirito, even Asuna collapses to the groud.

"What's going on?" I ask trying to force my self to stand.

"Paralysis, now Kirito I'm going to make you a deal." Kayaba says turning to Kirito. "If you can beat me in this duel, then I will release everyone from this game. And if not then everyone will have to continue playing the game until they get to the 100th floor."

"Don't do it Kirito!" Asuna yells at him.

"Please Kirito! You can't leave Asuna alone!" I yell at him with the tears flowing down my cheeks.

"If I do this then I have one request, make sure that Asuna doesn't kill her self." Kirito says holding both his swords tightly. "If I die, don't let her kill her self."

"No Kirito! That's not fair!" Asuna cries. "You can't do that!"

Both players draw their swords, holding them tightly in their hands. But before the fight starts Kayaba changes himself into a mortal object, so he can be killed. My heart races inside my chest as the fight begins, the swords clash in a flurry of sparks. Kirito gets quicker and quicker until they are both a blur, with every strike Kirito yells a battle cry while Kayaba looks like he's playing. Like he's toying with him, my eyes stay focused on the pair of them as they fight. I notice Kirito take a hit to his cheek causing a cut, but it's not too bad on his HP bar. He swings one of his swords directly at Kayaba's shield, like he's hoping to break through it. But his sword shatters.

Kayaba then holds his sword high and with a smirk on his face he says. 

"Game over Kirito!" And then his sword comes crashing down.

I wish I could close my eyes so I won't have to see one of my best friends die, but my eyes won't move away from the scene unfolding. Just as the sword is about to hit Kirito I notice a dark shadow jump in front of him, as the light adjusts I see the sword come crashing down over Asuna's chest.