CHAPTER XVII

– S C O R P I O N –

The doors from the lift slid open to reveal the morning sun shining brightly upon the rooftop. I inhaled and allowed a small smile onto my face.

"Alex..." Makayla trailed off beside me. I turned to see her looking perplexed at something across the roof.

Ah. That.

"I imagine you're wondering what that iconic piece of design is." I said grinning back at her.

She flicked her eyes warily between myself and it. "What is it? And why is it where the fusion craft should be." She said with a bit more fear spiking in her voice. I was momentarily distracted by the way the sun set her blonde hair on fire as it danced in waves between the strands.

"That is one of the only fusion cycles currently in existence." I say proudly looking back at the sleek curving features. It sported my famous colours of black and red. The design was originally taken off of pre-30th century vehicles that ran along the ground on two wheels. Motorbikes. A lot of them were in fact still used among the poorer sectors. But most are now relics of the past.

Well, my engineers had given the concept a far greater ambition. It was one of the fastest available fusion machines currently on the legal and black markets. Outrunning anything if necessary... not that I would inform Makayla of that little fact. The aim was to convince her to get on it ideally.

"Fusion cycle." She tasted the word with a sour expression.

I rolled my eyes and strode past her, allowing all of my arrogance to grace my walk. My red cloak flickered to the side like a proud flag in the wind. I could hear her mutter something behind me which I only assumed was an insult. I grinned under my hood as I neared my cycle.

It remained hovering inches from the steel roof. The fusion engines hummed on either end, begging to be unleashed through the maze of the city. I didn't hesitate. In a swift jump I swung one leg over the side and secured the front handles. The machine fit me better than any piece of clothing--it was practically an extension of myself.

Makayla stood with her arms crossed and a pair of exceedingly skeptical blue eyes on me.

"Not a chance." She stated.

"Nothing will endanger you Makayla, I swear it." I said exasperated.

"We're inside some of the most dangerous sectors of the city and you want me to travel through them on that?" She threw her hands skyward. "Why don't I just add the targets to our backs now while we're at it!"

I snickered and dipped my hooded head over the front of the cycle.

"Alex!" She shouted accusingly. "I'm being serious."

"That's what I find amusing." I responded with a smirk.

She growled under her breath before turning back the way we came and striding towards the lift. I sighed and jumped off the cycle. It continued its hum and hover, awaiting orders.

I caught up to her easily and appeared in front of her before she could enter the glass doors. Her expression darkened. I placed a hand reassuringly on her shoulder. To my complete and utter shock she shifted swiftly and locked my arm in a move only Proximo could have taught. My arm was behind my back and my neck held down with her other arm.

"Now I know they didn't teach you that in art school." I said quietly. But I wasn't a fan of being vulnerable...

In a heartbeat I had twisted a leg behind her and shifted my weight to knock her off balance. She gasped before she realised, but I didn't give her time. I spun and caught her in the same breath before she could fall.