2.2 - Looks

Dear Readers: In case anyone's looking for someone to hate in this series... please meet the lovely and lovable (*cough*) Mrs. Katherine Weaver!

___________________

Scene 2: Looks

A.D. 2015

This was not the life she wanted.

It was what her mother wanted for her, expected of her. Just as Dan had said. She wanted nothing to do with damned Sterling, its hallowed halls lined with portraits of stodgy old men, who would always be watching her, reminding her that she did not belong.

“So you’ve heard nothing from law schools? Since the Veriton rejection weeks ago?”

Lacey wagged her head. “Nothing since.”

Katherine Weaver frowned, forming a million new wrinkles. Patted her daughter’s shoulder with an ice-cold hand, a motion that was anything but motherly. “Well. I’ll make some calls.”

“Mother…”

Katherine had already started moving away, about to weave gracefully through the crowd of socialites. Had already taken out her state-of-the-art cell phone, most of its functions too high-tech for her to follow. But she had to keep up with all of the updates, so as to seem savvy; the phone was more a social statement than a personal device. She only ever used the thing to call up her high-society connections.

Her immaculate-cuticled fingers were poised on the keypad as she turned to face her daughter, brows arching high up into her forehead. Forming new wrinkles again. Expecting nothing short of a prizewinning speech from Lacey’s parted lips—the only thing worth stopping in her tracks, for so much as a second.

Lacey swallowed. But she did not swallow her words. Something about what had happened today impelled her to speak up, for once. As if Dan’s voice were speaking through hers. “…please don’t.”

Katherine’s brows soared up toward her hairline. “Pardon?”

“You’ve… made so many calls already,” Lacey stammered. “I just don’t think it’s worth it.”

“Ha,” her mother responded. Even her laughter sounded plastic. “It’s always worth it, Lacey. Don’t be silly just because you’re scared.”

“I’m not—”

“Isn’t that it? You’re scared that it won’t work this time. That you will fail. But have you ever failed?”

Lacey held her tongue against harsh memories of fashion school rejections. Her hardest failures had been in pursuit of her own dreams, which she seldom ever pursued. That hurt, a lot, especially since she had to hide the pain—the symptoms as well as the source. From everyone but Dan. The friend she may have lost today.

“The calls are always worth it, because they always work,” Katherine persisted. “The world runs on connections, Lacey. You should know by now; they’ve brought you all of your success.”

Lacey winced inside. She had to hide that, too, of course. But she’d had quite a bit of practice hiding winces, in her life.

“Well—that, and this famous face,” her mother added, touching her icy palm to the Barbie doll’s cheek, then gesturing down toward her dress, “and your fabulous figure. Oh, have you eaten yet today?”

Lacey nodded weakly. “A little.”

“That’s good. Hopefully as little as you should. Remember, don’t start letting go now that you’ve lost your job—there are always other reasons to look perfect.”