CHAPTER 46

DARLING HARBOR QUAY

Kevin Green watched in bewilderment as floodlights illuminated the starboard side of the Atlantis. The research vessel should have arrived in Sydney by 10 p.m., but the encounter with the mystery ship slowed their progress by two hours. Of course, he was glad they could dock anywhere at all. The wood pilings linking the research vessel by wrist-sized ropes to the concrete pier were a welcomed sight.

The giant ship had careened past them, the last second navigation change the only reason they avoided being T-boned and gutted like a fish. The other vessel had disappeared in a flash and Captain Oliver's crew left to assess the damage. They made the adjustments to get back on course and kept moving in case the ship came after them again. Oliver drove his men to inspect every inch of the Atlantis. One by one, they reported back to him, concluding the damage was only cosmetic with no engine or mechanical problems of any nature. It was a close call.

The excitement of seeing the Atlantis moored with lights ablaze, revealing a massive dented-in scrap down its side, had brought out the captain, his first mate, Rachel and even someone else that caught Kevin by surprise.

Cat O'Donnell.

"So you were with us all along," Kevin said, eyes serious, hands on his hips.

"I didn't jump aboard when that ship slammed into us." Cat's grin tightened. "Just know there are things management can choose to keep secret at their discretion."

He held up his hands. "Hey, I'm glad you're here. No further convincing required for me." He shifted his gaze. "What about you?"

Rachel faced them. "I'm good. I just do what I'm told around here. But I was wondering, when are we going to share the lab reports with Sarah and the rest of the gang?"

"As soon as Jake and Sarah get back to the hotel," Cat replied. "Then we can do a video conference. Hopefully, that won't be much longer."

"But we have an hour or two to kill, don't we?" Kevin winced playfully, like the thought of hanging around the ship tortured him.

"Possibly."

"Good. I have a cab to catch."

"A what?" Rachel asked.

"What do you have in mind?" Cat added.

"Well, if you must know, I'm worried about Sarah and Jake...and Tony. I know they called you a few minutes ago, but I'd like to wait for them at the hotel. After what we encountered, I want to make sure they get back okay. I also heard the Grace Sydney Hotel has a great bar." Kevin faked a smile. "Need to unwind."

"I like to unwind too," Rachel said.

He grimaced. How should I put this? "Listen, as much as I'd like for you to tag along, what I'm really looking for is time alone. We could've died out there. Besides, I'd like to call my sister and touch base."

"Let the guy call his family and find some solitude." Cat nudged Rachel with her elbow.

Rachel sighed. "If it'll ease his mind..."

"Thanks."

After the word left Kevin's mouth, headlights appeared at the curb a hundred feet away. He bid the women goodbye, strode to the taxi, and plopped into the back seat. The driver already had directions. Now that he could talk freely, he pulled a cell phone from his belt clip and punched in the number a certain secretary had given him after digging around on-line. As the phone rang, a queasiness gripped his stomach and his heart thumped in his chest. Kevin mashed the rising tension with a firm reassurance of who he had to call, and it wasn't his sister.