Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten – Paintball Wars

"I bet they're all aliens." Eva mutters, looking at the group of men who are currently grabbing equipment from a shed.

"Eva!"

"What?! Are you blind Luna? They're all flawless and look like Greek gods!" She huffs, daring me to deny it.

"Fine, but I wouldn't go around calling them aliens!" I retort, tightening my ponytail.

"Ask your boyfriend what cleanser or exfoliator he uses. I would kill to have clear skin like them."

"He is not – we're not like -" I fail to form a coherent sentence, looking at her with wide eyes.

"Oh, shut up. Even though you guys haven't made it official, you're still seen as his girl." She smirked, her green eyes twinkling with humour.

"We've only been on one date." I huff and slap her arm, making her whine in a dramatic fashion.

The boys come back to us with the equipment, setting them down on the grass. We are in the forest behind Owen and Axel's place and since the boys had bought paintballing gear, we didn't have to go to a centre. I grab a set of overalls, putting it on with the body armour and face mask. My brother Nick and I would always go and play paintball back in Amsterdam so I recognised the equipment.

I help Eva pick out a gun before we fit our hoppers, the container that holds the paintballs and feeds them into the gun, on top of the gun. I explain the safety switch and trigger to her before the boys taught us how to aim, reload and which height we should be shooting at since the paintballs can drop when you shoot.

I ask which game we are playing first which makes Derek and Rico grin wickedly as they both answer. "Capture the Flag."

We are divided into two teams with Kaden and Axel as captains. I'm picked by Kaden along with Owen and Rico whereas Eva, Chris and Derek are on Axel's team. Matt and Maddox couldn't make it as they are both nursing terrible hangovers and have prior commitments.

After we are explained the rules of the game, Kaden's team gets handed red paintballs whilst Axel's team gets blue. The time limit is one hour and we must get the other team's flag to our own base before then. We split up and make our way through the thick forest, the leaves and branches providing us with camouflage.

Once the Axel and Owen's sister rings the horn, we begin.

Kaden tells us about his plan and we stick together at first, trying to spot the other team. We keep walking for a while, only crouching or hiding behind rocks or fallen trees when we hear a noise. But about fifteen minutes into the game, Kaden tells everyone to split up and says that Owen and he will try to go for the flag while Rico and I try and take out the other team.

I have my eyes set on Derek as he moves stealthily through the forest about a good few feet away from me. But just when I pull the trigger, something shuffles behind me and I jump out of my skin, missing the shot before rolling behind a rock to avoid the three paintballs he sent my way.

Crouching low, I ran away from the rock when I hear footsteps making their way in my direction. A few minutes pass before I can't hear them anymore and assume that Derek has given up. As I walk on, I manage to shoot Eva at the same time Rico does, both of us looking at each other and grinning.

I catch up to him and stick by his side, our next target being Chris. He tells me that Kaden is hiding behind a large boulder near where the other team have placed their flag whilst Owen is defending ours, having already shot Derek when he tried to capture our flag.