xxx.

sorry i know i've used this gif in "faltering steps" but i love it so much

"Jin?"

"Yes, Yoongi?"

"Where's Daddy?"

Jin swallowed. I'm sure I just didn't see his car. If I just keep looking, I'm sure I'll see it.

But he didn't.

"I..." I don't know, Yoongi. "I'm sure he'll be here soon, Yoongi. You know how he's always running late without us keeping him on time."

"But he's never late to pick us up."

I'm sorry, Yoongi. I don't know what to tell you...I'm scared myself. "I-it'll be fine, Yoongi. He's on his way right now. I just know it."

But five minutes later, they were still standing there, holding hands, and no familiar car had pulled up.

"...and so I was like, watch me! And then I took my shirt off and-" Wonho was saying, laughing alongside Kihyun, who looked thoroughly unamused. "Oh, hey, Yoongi and boy with Yoongi," Wonho said, stopping and looking over at them. "Who is he?"

"He's Jin, my hyung," Yoongi said, and Jin raised his eyebrows.

"Favorite hyung. Show some respect, brat."

"Stomach."

"Turtle."

"Flower."

"It's not an insult if I like to be called it."

Yoongi just rolled his eyes. "Hyung, meet Wonho and Kihyun. They're the kids in my class that I told you about."

Jin smiled. "You guys are friends with Yoongi, right?"

Wonho nodded, grinning. "Yoongi's our favorite!"

Yoongi looked at the ground awkwardly, but he was smiling slightly. "Uh, thanks..."

Kihyun smiled. "Yep."

Jin smiled down at Yoongi, proud of him for making friends. One day, that'll happen to me too.

Daddy will be here.

Any minute now.

***

Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook were three of the last five kids sitting in their class. At first, it had been fun. Hyukk and Jongup had already been picked up, so the triplets were able to play with whatever toys they wanted.

But after five minutes, they'd grown tired of the blocks and had put them away. Then they'd gotten bored of the action figures and the puzzles and the coloring books.

Soon, there were only two other kids besides themselves left, two girls that apparently liked Jungkook because they kept looking over at him and giggling.

"When's Daddy going to get here?" Jungkook asked, tugging on Jimin's sleeve since he was the oldest of the three.

"I don't know," Jimin said.

"He'll be here soon," Tae said, tickling Jungkook's neck. "You know how all the ladies like to treat Daddy funny. They're probably making kissy faces at him."

Jungkook laughed. "Daddy's probably scared right now," he said. "He doesn't like that."

They laughed for a second before cutting off when Jimin said, "I'm scared."

There was a moment of silence before Jungkook nodded. "Me too."

Tae put his arms around both of them. By this point, the other two girls had been picked up, and it was just them left. The teacher had already stayed after the amount of time it had taken the long finger on the clock to go around halfway, and she hadn't been able to stay any longer. They were alone. "It's okay. We have each other. And Daddy will be here soon. Any minute now."