~3~

Edited

It's the oldest story in the world. One day you're 17 and planning for someday. And then quietly and without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life.   -One Tree Hill

~~~~~~~~~~

|Present|

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd skipped breakfast because I didn't want to run into my father. We hadn't spoken ever since the incident two days ago where he'd told me about his fiancé.

I walked into the coffee parlor. I didn't want to start my first day of college with an empty stomach. My father had gotten me enrolled a few weeks ago.

I sighed.

I miss you mom.

I feel so alone.

I wish you were still here with me.

I tried to swallow the growing lump in my throat.

I thanked the man behind the counter as he handed me my coffee and croissant and started to make my way out.

I hadn't been watching where I was going and the next thing I knew I bumped into someone. The steaming coffee spilled from my cup onto the person's shirt. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist to steady me.

Just perfect.

"Shit!" I cursed "I'm so sorry" I started but the words died down in my throat when I saw who it was.

Hunter Adams.

Our eyes locked and I suddenly didn't know how to breathe.

When I'd run into him two days ago I'd completely panicked and fled. I didn't have time to take in his appearance.

He was different now but at the same time he was still the same.

His features were still chiseled to perfection but his deep-set grey eyes weren't bright anymore, they seemed empty. He had grown out his hair and a slight stubble dusted along his jaw. I could see tattoos covering his arms and the ones on his chest peeping out from under his button down shirt.

"Scarlett?" He finally breathed out, breaking the silence.

My mouth suddenly felt like sandpaper.

I realized that he still had his arms around me. I was surprised at how good it felt.

I snapped out of whatever trance I was in and stepped away from him. His arms went limply to his sides.

I kept my face blank.

"Watch where you're going bitch!" A voice suddenly broke in.

My heart leapt.

It was her.

"Nichole." I gritted out through clenched teeth.

I couldn't forget her face even if I tried.

Three years ago she had made my life a living hell.

She had tormented and bullied me throughout my freshman year.

Just looking at her right now made my blood boil.

Her hands snaked around Hunters arm and I felt a pang in my chest.

This isn't supposed to hurt.