[43] Missing

*WARNING: This chapter does contain a bit of abuse. I do not like writing about these subjects, so for the most part I skip over it, but it does contain a bit of abuse. If you are not comfortable reading these type of things, I advice that you do not read this chapter.

  Thanks so much!

  Avery Holmes

  Three days.

  We had been gone for three days. First, we had gotten on a plane and landed New York. After that, we drove for a few hours, and I learned that Marcus would be taking me back to Jake's house. How stupid were they?

  "Don't try anything funny." Marcus ordered me, grabbing my arm roughly as he pulled me toward the dirty apartment complex. It was exactly how I remembered it- the walls looked like they needed a good wash, the building was the same disgusting shade of brown, and there were some sketchy people hanging around their porches.

  Home sweet home, I thought bitterly.

  In all honesty, I wasn't as terrified as I was three days ago. Three days ago, I was weak and scared, but today I wanted to show Jake that I wasn't the same petrified little girl that he could push around. I had to show that I was stronger than him.

  "It's this way." Marcus huffed. I rolled my eyes, snorting.

  "I know where it is, I lived there for years." I retorted.

  "Now isn't the time to get smart with me." Marcus warned. I shot him a look when he wasn't facing my direction, hiking my backpack up further on my shoulders, gritting my teeth together.

  "217, here we are." Marcus said, not hesitating to knock loudly on the door. I remember hearing that booming knock at two in the morning all the way from Aimee's bedroom. Sometimes, she'd still be awake and start to cry. I'd comfort her and take whatever came from Jake.

  The door swung open, and I immediately was terrified. But, instead of being greeted by Jake, I was greeted by a girl with blonde hair that looked like it was just in a braid by all the waves. She smirked at Marcus and then shifted her gaze towards me.

  "All this trouble for one girl? And she looks like this?" She chuckled, shaking her head. I clenched my teeth and my fists, but didn't say a word. I was too afraid to say a word.

  "I think she's hot." Marcus shrugged. I hated how they talked about me so rudely as if I wasn't in the room. You'd think that they'd have the decency to at least talk about me elsewhere, but then again, they were lowlife criminals and probably had no decency to spare.

  I followed Marcus into the room and immediately stopped in my tracks. It looked exactly how I left it, except much dirtier. It even smelled the same, like a mix of weed and dust. There were barely any lights on, just like we used to have it, because we barely made it by when it came time to pay for our electricity bills.

  The table was stacked with bills. I remember slaving over taxes at that table and all the curse words I would mumble under my breath when I realized that we were running out of money. The same couch from a 'gently used' store still sat in front of a small, plain box of a t.v that was resting on a shelf.