Chapter 12. Accusations and Home

Hell is empty

and
all the devils
are here.

-William Shakespeare

----------

THE NEXT DAY was Family Day and I decided to dress a little fancier than I usually would. I wore a black dress that came just above my knees and had a few lines of diamonds at the bottom. I matched it with black high heels and a golden bracelet with royal blue details and matching earrings. I also wore my sunglasses carelessly on top of my head to keep my loose hair from falling into my face. 

When the five of us got to where everyone was celebrating, a few Auradon kids were already singing a song; 'Be Our Guest'. The song that had also been sung to Queen Belle once upon a time when King Beast, or Adam, was still a beast. We got down from the balcony and Carlos and Jay immediately went to the chocolate fountain. I joined them, but I didn't stick my tongue into the fountain like they did. Mal picked up a strawberry and I decided to try one too. I looked closely at the slightly heart-shaped fruit and cautiously took a bite. It was delicious. I grabbed two more, before going to stand next to Evie, who was holding Dude. I held out a strawberry for her, she took it and looked at it the same way I did. She slowly took a small bite and a bigger one immediately after. She shot me a look saying something along the lines of 'This is delicious!' and I nodded in agreement.

"Where is Mal?" I asked Evie after I finished my own strawberry. She pointed at Mal who stood by Ben's side with his parents. Evie and I shared a look. They then looked towards the four of us after Mal pointed at us and I waved with a bright smile. Just to keep up the act, of course. They talked some more and Ben wrapped an arm around Mal's shoulders as they walked away. 

Everybody went to play a game called croquet before lunch, so we joined. I was walking around a little. Carlos was playing with Dude, Jay and Ben were having a 'bro-moment', Evie was talking with Queen Belle about something and Mal was being approached by some old lady in pink. I cringed at her outfit but kept walking. I didn't really bother joining any of them and eventually took a seat on a bench close by, next to a boy with strawberry blond hair. I could keep an eye on all of my friends from here. All of them smiled and seemed happy. They were happy. Somehow this realization, that should've been obvious, made a small smile appear on my face.

"You're Hadee, right?" The boy next to me asked and I turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

"Who's asking?" I glared. I locked eyes with the boy, they were bright blue. His hair was tousled and he wore a sheepish grin. He had a sharp jawline and looked somewhat familiar. 

"I'd tell you, but you'd hate me." He answered. He didn't look away from my cold glare, somehow not faced by it. I wondered who I'd hate (more) if I knew who they were. And then it clicked and I turned back to look forward again.

"You're Hercules and Meg's son, aren't you?" I spat in realization. He looked forward as well and I saw him nod slowly in the corner of my eye. We sat quietly for a moment.

"You hate me, don't you?" He asked. I couldn't comprehend why it mattered to him if I hated him or not.

"Why would you care if I hated you?" I growled. His parents certainly didn't care about my father's opinion, why in the name of the Underworld would he care about mine?

"I just don't want a repeat of history." He shrugged. "So, I hoped you wouldn't hate me. Do you?" He questioned somewhat hopeful. I stayed silent for about ten seconds before I thrust my elbow back and hit him hard in the stomach. He fell backwards off the bench hitting the ground with a loud thud. I heard some gasps around me but ignored them.