Chapter 40: OverDID It By THAT Much

There was something on top of me. It was thick and limp, even in all places as I pushed against it.

     After pushing at it for some time while wondering where I was, more like what I was doing here, I heard some noises outside. I continuously pushed against what I had established to be a cover while pressing my ear on the wall next to me. I think, I'm in a box.

     A very long box, I discovered while spreading out my limbs, made perfectly to my size. I bent my toes and touched the bottom, extended my neck and my head hit the top. My arms, on the sides, moved outward about three inches and met the sides. It was a rectangular thing, lined by felt.

     Another thing I found curious was that I wasn't wearing the clothes I thought I would be. No, this time I was wearing a dress that went all the way down to my ankles and wrists. It was a flimsy thing, probably made with the idea of cutting down cloth costs in mind.

     My hair, usually on my shoulders when I lay down on my back, was in a neat bun on top of my head. I knew that because of the squish of it touching the top of the box when I tried to find out how much space I had earlier.

     How curious.

     Why was I in a place like this?

     What was I doing here?

     What was I doing before?

     I struggled to come up with an answer, all the while listening to the gongs ringing outside my box. I heard some crying people with wails as loud as whales (hah, pun), which made me frown. What the heck was going on out there?

     My mind drew a blank as I had absolutely not the faintest clue as to how I ended up here.

     I sighed, wincing when my sharp teeth bit trapped my lip. I was a Vampire right now.

     A flash of memories hit me in a moment, but it was gone the next second.

     But, it was just enough to give me the strong feeling that I should get out of here ASAP.

     With that simple resolution somehow igniting my will, I put both of my hands against the felt top and pushed. It didn't budge because I didn't put much pressure on it. I didn't want to make it suddenly fly off without knowing what was outside, but since there was a creak on all sides that made me realize it was nailed shut, I pushed even harder.

     The lid popped off with a whoosh, flying high above me. It went and landed on the side somewhere which made many people gasp with the crash of wood on the hard packed ground.

     I looked up at the sky, completely cloudy but not as dark as...last time.

     Last time?

     Ah!

     The storm!

     I exhausted all of my mana somehow, since it didn't recover and instead leaked out insanely!

     I bolted up right in the...COFFIN?!?! OMS!!! (OH MY STARS)

     And looked around. There were only dirt walls on either side of me, deep in the ground. There was dirt that leaked down into the coffin, after being thrown to cover me up.

     "ARE YOU TRYING TO BURY ME ALIVE?!"

     I screamed incredulously. If they had succeeded, I would've probably choked to death!

     But wait...as a Vampire, I didn't need to breathe. That's right, that's how I didn't choke on the sea water filling my lungs when I was face down in that puddle. I only struggled to breathe because I was acting like I was human.