Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve: High Altitudes

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." -Henry Ford

-

 "Alright, today the goal is to get your lungs used to high altitudes," Rian informs me as I finish my morning warm up, "In case your mask is to break or fall up while you're flying. Plus, it never hurts to have that advantage if you're fighting on a mountain somewhere else like that.

 "We're not too far off from the maximum altitude a human can breathe in without having to use an oxygen tank. There were some shipments or something coming in today so the helicarrier is lower than usual. Director Fury has agreed to keep it at this level for the remainder of the week so you can train out here. This should allow your lungs to be strained but adapt without unbearable discomfort."

 I nod, chugging down my bottle of water as he continues. "So, what I'm trying to tell you is that today you're going to do your exercises outside. I'll bring the padding if you grab your weights. You might also want to wear a jacket or sweatshirt because it's chilly out there."

 I find my hoodie and zip the soft layer of cotton over my sweaty t-shirt. I grab two 25 pound dumbbells to use along with my wraps and gloves. I follow behind Rian as he leads us up onto the deck of the helicarrier. "I feel as if I shouldn't have to remind you, but don't get too close to the edge," Rian looks over his shoulder before opening the door taking us outside. 

 The light grey sky temporarily I immediately find it harder to breathe as the air feels thin. I feel light-headed at first before my body adjusts to the littler amount of oxygen. I find Rian standing off to the side of the largest part of the dock.

 "We'll take it easy today; give your lungs a chance to get used to this air without straining them and hurting you. It is difficult enough having to breathe out here without doing any vigorous exercise," Rian breathes easily out in this air as he straps on his protective padding. I have only been out here for a minute and I'm gasping for air. "Come on, let's practice your DDDJs."

 "Dodge."

I escape one of his full-powered punches.

 "Dodge."

 I maneuver to the right.                                                             

 "Dodge."

I jerk to the left.

 "Jab," I punch Rian's unblocked side.

 "Good, again," He praises me.

 I repeat the set again but this time Rian blocks my jab. A second after he blocks my jab he kicks me in the legs causing me to land on my back. I grunt in pain since nothing broke my fall except the cement of the ground. Luckily, Rian did not kick me down too forcefully; I am not injured. I'm afraid to move for a second; the pain pulses down my spine. "You also have to dodge kicks," Rian pulls me up.

 I cringe once I'm back on my feet. After a few minutes, the pain subdues. We continue this routine for a while. I feel my lungs adapt to the different air. My breaths are deep but quick in order to cope with the thin air. The cold air and thin atmosphere creates a new challenge for me to adjust to. It is trickier to dodge Rian's kicks. He kicks my legs and sides a few times, but towards the end I am much better at blocking his kicks. However, I might have a few bruises on the outside of my thighs where I missed Rian's kicks. As my hand-to-hand combat trainer, it is his job to show me the results of failing to learn now.

 After lifting a few reps of my weights and practicing my technique, I get to fight Rian like I do at the end of every training session. He compliments my progress and says I am becoming more consistent and powerful. It is my second time of taking Rian down when he stops to look at his watch, "I have to go inside for Tony's session," Rian is a bit out of breath, "You will run two miles out here, which are three laps around the edge of the helicarrier. After that you can be done until this afternoon. No cheating, just don't run too close to the edge."