Chapter Fourteen

"Your Majesty!" General Cong protested. "It's His Highness, The First Prince first time leading such an expedition. Wouldn't the Second Prince or the Fourth Prince be ideal for this?"

Obvious favoritism, who in the court didn't know that his eldest daughter is the Second Prince wife or that the Fourth Prince was a student of his?

Hearing this the Second Prince frown, clearly he didn't have the General full support or he wouldn't have mentioned his brother. His brother of the same mother, perhaps it's not the first, third or fifth Prince he should keep an eye on.

The Emperor didn't say anything to the blatant favoritism of the General. He's clearly announcing the Princes he's supporting for the throne.

"What use is a Prince if he can't serve his country. If the Prince succeeds that will show his competency and if he doesn't he dies."

The First Prince Jing Long, hearing this stood up and kneel in front of the dragon throne.

"I swear on my name that is Jing Long to rid the Lonia Dynasty of all those who threatens its peace."

Hearing the oath of the First Prince and seeing the resolution on the face of the Emperor, General Cong grits his teeth in anger.

"What about nominating Vice Defense Minister Feng Huang to assist His Highness in his expedition?"

Not wanting to lose this chance in gaining some glory, General Cong decided to toot his own horn, at least his son-in-law might gain him some face.

The Emperor wanted to sigh, the General never knew when to quit. This has proven bad just as it was good in the times of war.

"Where is Minister Feng?" The Emperor asked not seeing his face.

The Minister of Defense Tian Kun spoke up. "Minister Feng asked for leave five days ago to celebrate his marriage as he wasn't able to do so three months ago due to the Northern border issues."

The Emperor raises a brow. "Where is Minister Feng now?"

"To his Eastern house hot spring."

"This could be called a good coincidence." The Emperor jesters to an eunuch off to the side, "Write up a decree, Minister Feng is to help the First Prince in capturing and eliminating the Chawanian Soldiers and those who aid them. If there are any traitors among the Lonians, they are to be captured and interrogated."

The entire court bowed as the Emperor dismissed court and left the room. First Prince Jing Long also left under the gazes of his brothers.

The hot springs of the Feng's were located not too far from the Eastern border. The Feng courtyard was built to accommodate Feng Huang's father and his soldiers during the war nearly forty years ago. Though the old General had died the courtyard was renovated to accommodate a minister's ;lifestyle.

Da Fan and Cong Wei Yang both peered out of the windows to see nameplate of the compound front gates with 'Weifeng' written on it.

Releasing the curtains, Cong Wei Yang commented to Feng Huang. "The meaning of the compound is very good, Husband."

The meaning of Weifeng is Gentle Breeze. " This compound served as a base in the wars forty years ago. It was renovated and rename after my father's death." Feng Huang tilted his head and smiled.

Thinking this smile was for her, Cong Wei Yang puffed out her chest, proud as a peacock.

'After entering the gate, we would be travelling for a while before reaching our residence. Some of father's soldiers settled here forming a kind of village. They planted many crops here and due to the hot springs we get off seasons fruits and vegetable. Further towards the south wall, Roaring Rivers is located, it was also used as a waterway and an exit point in times of war. The wall was built around and over the river."

As the carriage traveled further into the big compound, they came upon another gated area. Previously they had stopped in the little village and watched as Feng Huang interacted with the former veterans.

"There's a peach and pear tree that's ripening right now near the south wall. After we rest today, I'll accompany you both there."

Feng Huang saw the smile, both of their faces were full of admiration. " A picnic will be pleasant near the fruit trees. We should also visit the Five Seas Monastery tomorrow near the mountains, Mother travels there every year."