Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Finally, Amory was getting somewhere with the king, especially since he'd made good on his word of getting the Fae prince to show.

The meeting had happened a few nights before, one that was going to start off the talks between Escarral and Dalcaine. Amory knew what had been said, which wasn't much. There would be other meetings, but those would be determined by Prince Jai. But for now, he was gone just as quickly as he came. Fae weren't welcome in Escarral at present time. But if the king had his way and his and Dalcaine terms were agreed upon, that would soon change.

"The king knows these are just the ones you'd worked on before, right?" Gideon asked him as they waited to be taken to see him.

"Yes, but he wants to discuss the other meeting, too," he told him as he shifted the map case over his shoulder. He spied something peeking out from the inside pocket of Gideon's jacket. "And why is Jett here? You know what will happen if..."

"He wanted to see the princess, didn't you, Jett?" he smiled, glancing down at the pixie who was nodding his head furiously. "And he hasn't been outside the cottage all week. He'll be fine. He knows how and when he needs to hide. But for now..." He glanced up at the sound of footsteps on the upper level. "I'm guessing there's another reason we're here, too, since you've been going on about a certain someone?"

There was a reason he was asking. Gideon's eyes had found the reason Amory had hoped would show up, just like she had with the meeting she'd set up. That smirk she'd given him...oh, did he want to tell her to get rid of the smugness in it...and tell her exactly how he would do it for her.

He didn't want to be thinking of how at the moment, though.

The princess was walking down the stairs, being trailed by a woman who must have been her lady's maid, telling her what her schedule was for the day. Gods above, that dress. It was made from a deep red silk and lace, cut to fit her perfectly, accentuating every curve of her hips and chest. Her hair tumbled down, loose and curled, catching the light of the sun coming in through the windows.

As her lady's maid continued to speak, Princess Alyvia barely paid any attention, looking completely bored. That, or she had something else on her mind...like what she'd seen the other night.

It was then she caught sight of them. Amory couldn't help but see how her emerald eyes lit up when they met his, but she quickly schooled her expression into one of indifference not a moment later.

Gideon was grinning as she got to the bottom of the steps. "Well, if it isn't the princess, finally dressing like one. You're missing your crown, though."

The princess lifted one layer of her skirts, only to let it fall gracefully. "Not an outfit a whore in a pleasure house would wear either, huh?"

Her lady's maid sputtered behind her as Gideon choked on a laugh.

The question had been aimed at Amory. He guessed he deserved it.

"Meeting with the king again, are you?" she asked, her attention turning back to Amory. "He's been in a very good mood lately, despite being at odds with the queen."

"Is that so?" he said casually. "I wouldn't know. We haven't been in the city since the last time we saw you."

Alyvia's brows rose. "Have you not? I would have thought you'd be sticking around now that I've gotten you your meetings."

"No, we had other...matters...to handle regarding home."

He could almost see the encounter between the king and the Fae prince playing in her mind, along with the questions she had for him.