Chapter 41: This One's A Lazy Onii-san

I felt nothing. I was past the point of starvation, so of course I was too hollow inside to care. They say that when you've passed that limit, the pain doesn't come anymore.

     They were right. It doesn't.

     So, as I lolled around on the rabbitkin's shoulder, I simply stared blankly at the ground like a real corpse as blood, first only a few drops, turned into a trickle.

     "Hey, what's-" Taryn, who was walking next to the rabbitkin, suddenly froze when he saw drops of red in a trail behind her. "Marinette!"

     "What?" Marinette looked over at the catkin who had stopped, looking at me dumbfoundedly.

     "The girl! She's bleeding!"

     "What?!" Marinette stopped and repeated, eyes widening.

     It was odd how this felt like my time of reckoning. I didn't get very far in this life, yet again.

     I couldn't always remain positive that I would survive somehow, even though I had been through so many life and death situations I had just known I would survive. But now...it wasn't even funny how little hope I had for survival right now.

     I was pulled off of her shoulder, my head falling back. My neck jerked and I choked, unable to breathe in that position.

     "Ahhh!" Marinette's face showed her distress as she started racing forward with bunny hops, heading for some place that was not the original destination, seeing how Gabriel and Taryn were yelling for her to come back.

     The wind rustled my bun and made it come undone, the red hair flying about in stark contrast with my blood.

     "Hold on! We're almost there!" She sounded frantic, bounding on another roof, trying to be as light as possible so it didn't break.

     I was cradled like a suckling baby against her chest, eyes dead.

     I vaguely saw some stuff around us, as the streets that were full of construction workers gradually became emptier and emptier, then fuller and fuller with patients laid on the ground took up space.

     They were in possession of closed eyes, all of them. Their chests rose up and down, none of them flinching from the sound of the rabbitkin Marinette's tapping feet on the cobblestones as she ran by in wood-tipped shoes. They were probably to lessen the impact on her feet as she jumped.

     The streets had narrow pathways between the people, those pathways taken up by people taking care of the patients. So, Marinette switched to the roofs again, running for some white building a few hundred pouriks away.

     When Marinette got there and saw that the doors were wide open, she yelled out for help.

     "Hey, Adoray!" She looked around, marching down hallways, searching for a place to put me down. "Adoray, are you in?!"

     Her clothes, on the chest, were soaked with the blood continuously coming out of my mouth. I felt like apologizing, but for some reason I couldn't. So, I decided to leave it be.

     "Marinette?" Some man appeared out of a room, leaning and looking at the frantic, young girl. "What do you think you're doing, yelling in a hospital?" His cheek twitched in frustration.

     "I need help!" She ran forward, jostling me in her arms.

     "...what is it?" The man pulled up his glasses from the string on his neck, fixing them on the nose. He stepped fully out of the doorway, revealing a white lab coat with his hands in his pockets. His white hair was everywhere, spiking in some places and falling in the eyes, giving off a sort of "I don't care what you think" feel.