Chapter Fifteen: Back to You Gena and Roger

There was a small knock on my door.

"Naomi?"

"Come in," I called out half-heartedly from my bed.

The door slightly opened and my mom's head poked into the room. Her brown, concerning eyes looked at me, but I was avoiding her gaze. Instead, I was lying on my bed, earphones in my ears playing music, and my eyes staring up at the ceiling. 

"Yeah mom?" I asked, my eyes still on the ceiling.

She entered the room with my dad following right behind her. The both of them were standing in my room, their eyes on me. But I still stated at the ceiling as if a giant black hole will appear on it, swallowing me in.

"Naomi, we're worried," my mom said.

"About what?" I asked, barely paying attention to them.

"About the dinner with the Meyers," my dad answered me.

My eyes flickered towards them, at the words "dinner" and "Meyers", then back on the ceiling. Suddenly, I shifted to my side on the bed, facing away from them and towards the wall.

"I don't want to talk about it." 

"Well, we do," my dad argued.

"We want to know what happened that night," my mom said. "You, Raymond and Declan went upstairs. Suddenly Declan had Bennett stop helping me with the dishes and Jordan stop at the middle of his story and go upstairs. Then Raymond went downstairs and left the house, saying he's going home by himself. The Meyers were forced to follow after him. And just when anything get any worse, your friends left without another word too. What happened?"

I didn't say anything.

"It's been a week, Naomi." My mom continued. "You haven't left this room for a week and didn't go to school this week too. I know you're not sick the moment you said you were and didn't want to go to school. It was always me who had to drag you to bed when you were sick as you try to run away to school, not wanting to be miss even one day. But I let you stay, your grades won't get affected, and something happened that night. You owe us an explanation."

A long silence hung in the air. I stared at the empty wall in front of me until I sighed. I sat up from my bed, then leaned onto the wall, facing them. I pressed a button, pausing the music as the singer was singing the chorus. Then yanked my earphones off.

"It was nothing, okay?" I asked, getting very defensive. "Raymond and I had a little argument, and the guys sided with him." My gut was dropping every word of this lie came out of my mouth. "Then I told them to leave me alone, and they did."

My dad ran his fingers through his hair. "Are you sure that's all, Naomi? That must be some argument for you to miss school for a whole week. Just talk about it with us. Maybe we can help."

Yeah, I thought, help you get a heart attack

I know I couldn't obviously argue them with this. But I wasn't actually going to tell them what really happened in this very room. Not only telling them that Raymond not only bullies me every second I'm at school, but that he harasses me in this very room is a death wish. Especially after I kept this secret for eleven years from them, I'm not going to turn myself in now.

I shook my head. "No, it's just a little spat. It'll blow over once I get back to school. Friends argue, if friends don't argue, they're not friends."

"She has a point," my mom pointed out.

"I'll go back to school," I promised them, before slightly looking away. "I didn't go to school because I didn't want to face them. But I will at Monday, I promise."