Chapter 4

I creep through my house and walk past my father's passed out body. I grab a bag of chips, that I really don't know how old they are, but they're all that I have to eat in the house. My ribs were starting to show and it was worrying me.
I'm fourteen now. We moved back to Tulsa, Oklahoma. But the abuse stays with me everywhere I go. I scurry upstairs with the little food I had and sat down.
As I sat bored and hot in the summer heat, I nibble on the food, frowning at the pile of blankets that was my bed. I hear footsteps downstairs and I am frozen, praying my father won't come upstairs. Instead I hear him open a drawer and I relax a bit and continue to eat.
Then a gunshot rings out from my house and I immediately stand up and go to search. I see my father laying on the ground, with a gun in hand and blood pouring from his head.
I run to get the phone and I call 911. Tears are falling off my cheeks and I hear people pull up. I am to enveloped in panic to respond to their questions, but they find my father without my help. My breaths get too short and I pass out.
When I wake up, I'm in a room with a nurse by my side.
"Sweetie, can you sit up?" She asks I do so.
After a long while of me being in a haze and wondering what would happen to me now, a man comes in and sit down.
"Scarlett Willows? We looked at your birth certificate and you are legally in custody of someone already." This catches me by surprise. "Your mother, when you were born, put you in custody of someone named Lin-Manuel Miranda. We've contacted him to come here and care for the legal part." The man's voice is calm and soothing to me.
"Yes, sir, what about my father?" I ask softly.
He looked at the nurse nervously.
"He's dead, sweetie."
All that could go through my head was the repeated memory of my father laying in scarlet liquid.