1 ✧ marco polo

» There is only one happiness in this life; to love and to be loved. «

☼ Mackenzie Ziegler ☼

Mackenzie Ziegler

"Mackenzie!" I hear a yell distantly over the uproar of my family. "Come help with dinner!"

Putting down my book, I sigh and walk reluctantly through the long hallway towards the kitchen. It sounds like some sort of night club in our house currently; Ashley's rap music is playing loudly through our speakers. Jada and Ria are screaming the lyrics overtop of each other, and when I reach the kitchen I'm super duper happy to see that Jack and James are having a food fight. Not. No wonder I couldn't concentrate on my book.

"Oh good, you're here." My Mum grins weakly at me, looking relieved. Her dyed blonde hair is plastered to her face with sweat, and a yellow apron she's wearing is positively covered in paint, food, water, and quite a few other things I really don't want to name. "Can you peel the potatoes? We're having a roast for dinner."

I nod my head meekly, not wanting to disobey. With a small smile plastered overtop of the grimace I'm trying to hide, I start forward to where my Mother is standing.

Only I'm stopped. Bryah, my darling six-year-old sister, is clinging to my legs. "Come play!" She pleads, voice light and airy with childish obliviousness.

"I can't." I tell her sadly, trying to prise her tiny fingers away. "I'm helping with dinner."

She bursts into tears. I groan inwardly, reaching down towards her and scooping her up. Her small arms and legs clutch me tightly as she throws a tantrum.

"It's not fair!" She screams through her violent sobs. "You never get to play!"

"I'm sorry kiddo, but I've got to help, otherwise we'll have no food! Why don't you play with Jada, or Ria?"

"No." She pouts, cries subsiding. "They say they're doing big girl stuff! It's not faiiiir!"

"Mum!" I cry desperately ask she tries to sneak out of the room. "Quit it! Help me!"

"I will Kenzie, but please, mind them for five minutes. I need to sit down, please." She replies, looking sickly as she clutches onto the wall behind her.

"Fine." I sigh, because I'm a doormat and let people walk all over me. "Go."

She thanks me profusely before slipping away.

Ever since my older sister Maddie left our household at the end of last year, I've been the oldest. The one that everyone relies on. The role model. The perfect example of what a girl should be like. Really, on the inside, I'm not.