35

Adora

I parked in my usual spot at the King residence, turning off my car. I stepped out onto the wet concrete and pulled my hair down from the ponytail it was uncomfortably in. I walked up to the door and knocked a few times before it flew open, and an aggravated Santiago stood before me.

I trailed my eyes down his hard earned body, which was clad in grey sweatpants and a fitted white tee.

"Are you coming in, or are you just going to stand there?" He asked, an eyebrow lifted.

"Yeah," I answered, stepping inside. I didn't think anything of him being rude. He usually was.

The door slammed behind me and I watched with wide eyes as he walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning?" I questionably greeted, shrugging out of my jacket.

"No," he groggily answered, angrily dicing up an onion.

"What did that poor onion do to you?" I jokingly asked, cracking a smile to hopefully shift the rather draining energy of the room.

He looked over at me, looking more than annoyed with me.

"You know, I wasn't asking if you'd had a good morning."

"Well, I haven't, so there's your answer."

"Where's the boys?" I asked, wiping the counter down from seemingly last night's mess. With only males living in the house, of course there were messes that got overlooked.

"Asleep."

I lifted an eyebrow.

"They had a late night."

I nodded. "Gotcha. Do you need me to help you cook breakfast?"

"Do I look incapable?" He defensively asked.

"No, Santiago," I giggled out, "it's okay. I was just asking if you needed help, no biggie."

He sighed, dropping his spatula on the counter. "I'm a fuck up sometimes."

"You said it, not me."

He shot me another glare and I smiled, daringly walking into the kitchen to stand beside him. "I'm kidding."

He braced his elbows on the counter, dropping his head. "You know, I want the boys to see her. I don't want them to grow up without her."

I bit down on my bottom lip. I'd wished I'd had a response, but there was no way for me to understand how he was feeling.

"I can't," he said, standing upright, "I just can't."

Santiago King needed a hug. Maybe that was the cure to his anger. So I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck, rubbing his shoulders. "It's okay."

He pulled away from me, his eyes locked on mine. The moment we shared was inexplicable.

He cleared his throat, shaking his head. "Stop looking at me like that."

I reached up, gently pressing my lips against his neck. His hand hesitantly slipped down my back and rested on my hip.

"You know this is wrong, don't you?" He asked, using his free hand to grab the counter.

"Is it, though?" I asked, looking up at him.

He pressed me against the fridge, pressing his lips against mine. I rested my hands on his sides, pulling him closer to me. I wanted no empty space.

I heard a door open and pushed him away from me, wiping my mouth. I reached up and swiped my thumb across his bottom lip, removing the sparkly chapstick.