Scene Forty-Five

The apartment was practically sparkling when Maisie got home after work.  All evidence of Talia's boxes, bags, and crates was gone and every surface had been dusted.  The carpet showed signs of recent vacuuming.  Talia emerged from her bedroom, dustbuster in hand and a bandanna covering her hair.

"Wow," Maisie said, "it looks great in here."

"I figured we brought a lot of dirt in yesterday," Talia responded."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome!  How was your day?"

Maisie noticed none of the frostiness from the day before hid in Talia's voice, and she didn't want to risk bringing it back, but George's words from the morning had haunted her all day.  "It was fine.  Hey, T, do you think I take you for granted? Like with the whole Mr. Darcy page and setting up the dates?" {add in here: Maisie hasn't asked what's going on in Talia's life lately.  Realize she hasn't been begging to go out to bars/clubs, etc.}

Talia set the dustbuster down on the coffee table and took off her bandanna.  "Yes and no.  I think you appreciate my help, but you don't always show it."

"I'm sorry."

"No, you don't have to apologize.  It's a two-way street.  The important thing is that I love you and I know you love me, too."  She came over and hugged Maisie. "It would be nice if on occasion you asked how my day was, or about what's going on in my life.  We're good, though."

"Please tell me if I'm ever being ungrateful, and I'll try harder to be less self-involved."

"I will, too.  I know I'm not always the easiest to deal with."

"You're not," Maisie grinned, "but you're worth it."

Talia laughed.  "Good! Because you aren't getting rid of me."

"And I don't want to.  I have dinner with Clay tonight.  Do you want to come?  You can catch me up with what's been going on with you."

"I'd love to," Talia said.  "Do I have time to shower?  I'm all grimy from cleaning."

Maisie checked the clock.  "You have time as long as you don't wash your hair."

"Perfect.  I'll be ready in an hour."