51. Trust

When Jin nodded at Emily, she returned it with a smile as the golden koi swam away with Alec for a private conversation

When Jin nodded at Emily, she returned it with a smile as the golden koi swam away with Alec for a private conversation. She squinted her eyes, still feeling suspicious towards the squid even after Jungkook had concluded that he was on their side. Her worry grew more once they were out of earshot because her gut, filled with dread, was screaming that her boyfriend was in danger. The protector could only be glad that she could at least see their silhouettes from afar.

Still, Emily couldn't stop thinking about Witch Cassandra and her warning. Watch out for the prettiest of fish. Glancing behind her, she saw Lilith staring at the area in disgust, furiously rubbing her hands together as if it was a gesture to desperately be clean, the guards still stationed around her. Suspicious.

"You think so too, huh?," Jungkook whispered as he swam next to Emily, who was still staring at Lilith with crossed arms. Facing the angel, she saw the fighting fish with a glare burning in his eyes, the white scales on his cheeks shining. It was obvious that he was angry. "Princess Lilith is something else, isn't she?"

"You make her sound like someone good. Not only is Lilith a bratty and snobby koi bitch, she's also extremely racist and is such a drama queen. I'm not even making a pun," Emily spat, still making sure that her whispers wouldn't be heard by the princess herself. She had never felt this sort of hatred towards before and it was almost questionable. Still, the sight of the koi flirting with her boyfriend made her blood boil.

"Aside from that, there's something else about her," Jungkook's words made Emily face him in confusion, eyebrow arching upwards. The light gem bearer sighed deeply and shook his head, blonde hair swaying in the water. "I can't read Lilith's mind."

Emily stared at Jungkook for a good second before glancing at Lilith, who was speaking to her seahorse guards with a low voice, the knife glistening in her belt. The protector wriggled her fingers, itching to hold some kind of weapon, but she didn't have any. She spotted Taehyung, who was speaking to the others, and noted that you and Yoongi looked pissed off the most. "So? I don't see what's wrong with that? Maybe it's a Vredeian thing."

"No, Emily. It isn't a Vredeian thing," Jungkook breathed out in despair, making Emily's gut twist since the look on the angel's face made her feel like something bad was going to happen. She glanced at Hoseok, the one with the most reliable intuition, and he looked uncomfortable as well. Oh no. "I... I can't read Helian minds."

Emily's throat closed, preventing her from speaking any further, but her thoughts still ran like gears in her head. Connecting the dots, she realized what Jungkook was trying to say and gasped loudly. Looking ahead and no longer seeing any sign of Jin and Alec, her heart started to beat rapidly. She swam forward, in an attempt to look for her boyfriend, but was stopped by two spears that crossed in front of her.

"Where do you think you're going, fighting fish?," Lilith spoke slowly, her voice more intimidating than usual. Emily turned around and saw the princess staring back at her with a dark expression, knife in hand. "It's bad enough that the golden koi is out of my line of sight. I'm not letting any of you morons do anything without me."