25 | ACT I, SCENE XXV

P R E V I O U S L Y

"There's no need to go after anyone," Llewellyn whispered from beside me, mischief shining clearly in his voice. "My brother has taken the fucking Castle."

ARCTON FORTRESS, RIMEBAY, VERTGATE

TRISTAN

SHE WAS UNHURT.

THANK THE bloody heavens.

My eyes raked over her body, and I felt hers doing the same with mine. Edwina Tremayne's teal green eyes never left me, and they dragged down... lower and lower, making my lips pull up in a smirk. There was a slight bit of blood on her upper lip, and her lovely red hair was a tangle that could nest about five small birds, but otherwise she was unharmed.

My fingers itched to go and wipe that blood off her skin. To brush against those soft lips, to feel her burningly desirable scent around me.

Instead, I clenched my fists angrily and turned my attention to the things that needed it, forcing myself to turn my eyes away from her.

Flames were curling around the pillars as men tried to douse them with water, but the fire was furious and ferocious, getting muffled for a while and then rising again with vengeance. Only Eric or Edwina could douse them.

Justaline was stupidly sitting on a copper tub, her hair was half burnt at one side. Emerick was snapping at her, relaxedly hanging over the edge as Favian chatted with them both. Elias and the guards were taking turns to see who could shout more loudly at the men to douse the fire.

I cleared my throat as the room filled around us with Valmont soldiers. The remaining were on the field. We had lost not more than fifty men, whereas I'd sent more than a thousand of the enemy to hell.

I cleared my throat again, louder, as a crack of electricity shot through the air with a rumble of thunder, and the room fell dead silent. The color drained from the Rotavelle faces as they turned around to see me astride my stallion. My sword, Aetherius gleamed dangerously in hand and a livid expression shined in my eyes.

I dismounted in a swift motion, scanning the room whose people were stiller than statues. In the now silent Throne room, the click of my boots was the only thing to be heard.

"Perhaps you are still under the impression that the battle is merrily raging outside," I began curtly, my voice more frigid than frozen ice.

'I - was just - we were just... talking?" Emerick strang a few words together as he took in the blue and gold clad man fanned all over the burning room.

"Were you, now?" I asked, casually wiping the blood off Aetherius on my sleeve. Indigo reared up angrily, and I gave the reins a light flick as he calmed down, snorting and rearing. The wild beast had taken over a year to break. Even now, he threw off anyone else except for me when someone tried to mount him.