Chapter One

Present Time: Two Years Later

Chapter One:

My phone is ringing on the side table. With my eyes still tightly glued shut, I sigh and roll over to switch it off. I throw my hand over my face, attempting to block out the sunlight that's peeking through my curtains. I'm startled when I finally open my eyes and see my brother Luke standing motionless at the foot of my bed. He is dressed in a simple, navy blue T-shirt and dark jeans. It looks like he's ready for the day. I rub the sleep out of my eyes with the sleeve of my shirt, giving him a look of pure annoyance.

"Scared?" He asks with a smirk on his idiotic face.

I shake my head "no" at him. Idiot.

"You were, weren't you?" He teases, lifting his eyebrows. He seems so proud of himself, and for what? Scaring his little sister? Wow. Hold your applause, everybody.

I shake my head again, mouthing no. Idiot!

"Liar. You were scared," he teases with a triumphant smile.

I shove him out of my way so I can get out of bed. He stumbles two feet back from my bed and I stick my tongue out at him, trying to hold in my amusement as his eyes nearly pop out of their sockets.

"You're so rude." He mutters beneath his breath, but it doesn't go unheard.

I reach for my phone as I'm standing up, and I see a missed call from him. It doesn't surprise me, I mean, what can I say? It's Luke, after all. I quickly grab a pen and a sheet of scrap paper from my nightstand and scribble,

Why did you call me?! We live in the same house!

I throw it at him, and it hits him directly in the chin.

"Mmph." He groans, glaring at me. Whining, he unfolds the paper. "Seriously?" He asks as if I wasn't making any sense.

I roll my eyes yet again, surprised they haven't gotten stuck in the back of my head yet.

He explains, nevertheless. "Because one," he lifts his index finger, "Mum told me to wake you up, and two" he elevates one more finger and I grab it, twisting it backwards. "Ow!" He raises his voice.

I feel the need to keep going, to keep twisting his fingers back painfully, one by one. He's so annoying. Snatching the paper back from him, I write again and pass it back to him. This time, with less force.

"Thanks." He mumbles sarcastically.

But why call me?

He laughs whilst running a free hand through his dark hair. "Well, that's easy."

I raise my eyebrows at him.

"That's good ole reason Number Two. Just to bug you."

Folding my arms across my chest, I give him an unamused look.