10 ¦ Chameleon

The stars shone in the heavens, and the full moon cast a melancholy gray light onto the ground. Peter walked towards me with his arms crossed, not saying a word.

"Do you want your jacket back?" I asked, casting him a cursory glance.

"No, that's fine," he replied. "Keep it for now and stay warm."

We both stared at the stars in awkward silence until my frustration burst forth like a flood of lava.

"How can you be so sure of Father's intentions, Peter?"

"If you would just let me show you, Liselle, you would understand everything."

"I came to this seedy bar to find answers about the attack and why you saved me."

"And I kept my word."

I wrapped the coat tighter around me. "They tried to kill me because Father's playing god. You saved me just to turn me into a weapon."

"Liselle, that's not true."

"You're not a hero."

"I never claimed to be." He grasped my shoulders. "Just listen to me."

"How can I trust you?" I asked, my voice breaking as I shrugged away from his grasp. "You're a Rogue Defender one minute and a Risan Healer the next. You wear armor in class and pick whatever ribbon suits your mood. So far, you've worn green, white, blue, red, and black."

"Indeed," he replied. "That proves your class system does not define me."

"How many colors have you really earned? No one studies five classes."

"So certain, hmm?"

"You heard the professor," I said. "Studying three classes is extremely difficult. Completing five is just ludicrous."

"Don't underestimate me."

"You're trying to lure me into this crazy scheme of yours," I said, jutting my chin. "It's not going to work."

"Please stop."

"What is your plan for tomorrow? Will you be a Royal?" My cheeks flushed with anger. "Have you stolen every ribbon in order to fool everyone?"

"I said stop!"

"You can explain classes all you like, but how do you change races? I could swear you had Risan receptors when you healed me."

He grasped my hands, his gray gaze piercing me like daggers. "Liselle, stop speaking, please!"

"You don't have them now, though." I pressed my fingers into the fleshy section of his palms to make sure. "Who in Hades are you?"

"Are you done?" he sneered. "Can I speak now?"

By all means, I can't wait to hear your excuse.

He scoffed and turned his back to me.

"Just tell me the truth," I insisted, meeting his gaze. "How can a simple Human do all those things?"

Drawing a deep breath, he turned to me, his lips pursed. "If I tell you who I am, will you promise not to tell a soul?"

"I swear."

"And do not flee," he said. "Just listen."

I nodded.

"Very well," he said with a sigh. "I'm a Risan shifter."

I blinked at him, incredulous. "What did you say?"

"I'm a Draconic-Risan hybrid," he said. "Half-dragon, half-Risa. I can change my physical race at will. Each form gives me different powers, which is why I can reach you in your visions."