Chapter 32 - Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Leela's fight with Keefer Darkwood was a brutal affair. Codi ground her teeth together in frustration as she watched the beating unfold on the screens in the fighters' lobby. By her side Gareth had the good grace not to say anything, but she could see it on his face: I told you.

She winced as Leela went flying under the impact of a tremendous right hook. Seeing the two figures side by side just looked wrong. Keefer Darkwood loomed over the young Battlecast fighter like some kind of mechanical juggernaut, his black armour glistening under the arena lights as he strolled languidly in pursuit of his quarry.

Her friend rolled back to her feet, riding the tremendous impact of Keefer's punch. Codi urged her silently on, willing the timid young fighter to find some grit. Leela circled desperately away from the black-armoured giant as he advanced, throwing out occasional arcing swings to test her defences. His movements remained smooth and casual, without a shred of emotion. Something about it just looked wrong. Someone that big shouldn't have been so effortless.

Leela blocked one of his swings and darted in, flashing a high kick with the speed of an eye-blink. The blow connected solidly and Codi's heart leapt for an instant.

Then it fell right back down when Keefer retaliated with a thunderous elbow to the head that sent her friend tumbling backwards. It didn't look like he'd even registered the hit she'd landed. His huge frame never even moved. He rotated to face the downed Battlecast fighter and strode onward.

"C'mon," Codi muttered, clenching her fists by her sides. "Get up."

To her credit, Leela wasn't giving up. Despite obviously being in pain, she scrambled back to her feet and scampered away from the next barnstorming flurry. Again she started circling, using the only weapon she had that Keefer Darkwood couldn't match: her speed. Twice she managed to duck and dodge her way inside his guard and land a firm strike, spurred on by the roars of the Battlecast supporters. However, Codi couldn't help but notice the total lack of effect any of the blows had. Keefer didn't so much as flinch.

And the third time she slid in to attack, he got a hold of her.

A sense of crushing inevitability descended on Codi when she saw the armoured giant's hand clamp shut around Leela's arm. Fear flashed across the girl's face as Keefer hauled her into reach and his free hand swung around in a murderous arc. Leela threw up a block, but he struck with such force that he drove her arm back into her head.

She would have fallen under the impact, but Keefer held her up, only to wind back for another strike. Leela wrenched wildly to free herself, to no avail. She was panicking.

"Stop and think!" Codi growled under her breath.

Right at the last instant Leela's training kicked in and she dipped her head like a limbo dancer, letting Keefer's fist scythe harmlessly past. Then she coiled up one leg and slammed her heel hard into his stomach.

Finally he moved, bending forward under the force of the kick, but it wasn't enough for Leela to dislodge herself. Desperately she tried to pull herself free, using his massive body for leverage, but his vice-like grip remained. In a sharp motion he grabbed her leg with is free hand, then twisted and flung her to the ground.

Leela half-rose before his fist slammed into her jaw, knocking her back to the ground. She rolled away and lashed out with one leg, even now still fighting her losing battle. But Keefer anticipated the move, side-stepping and trapping her ankle under his arm. In a flash he twisted, tossing Leela's slight form onto her side.

Then Keefer Darkwood raised his leg and stamped down hard.

She felt Leela's piercing scream of agony cut straight through the camera screens and out into the world as the boot of his exoskeleton crashed down against the side of her knee. A concerted gasp of horror rose from the spectators, and Codi's eyes widened in shock at the sight of the girl's leg bending much farther than it should have. After a second, Keefer released his grip, dumping Leela unceremoniously on the ground and stepping away without a care in the world.