-T H I R T Y - F O U R-

Chapter 34: Prom

"MACKENZIE WAKE UP!"

I shot out of bed, fearing for my life. When I didn't smell fire or gas, I knew I was safe for now. I realized Lindsay was being her usual dramatic self. She seemed to be around more, even with classes being every weekday. She arrived last night, wanting to help in any way to help me get ready for tonight. In all honestly, I was grateful for her.

I groaned, sitting down again. She grinned wickedly at me. It seemed like she was more excited than I was. And that was saying a lot considering prom's the only thing I've been talking about ever since Griffin asked me to go with him. I had no other choice. Every morning, I've been waking up to the picture he drew for me.

"C'mon! We have so much to do! There's still hair, makeup, your dress, accessories, shoes, and pictures! This isn't a simple process..." She trailed off before zipping across the room and grabbing my hand. "We're officially adding nails to that list."

I sighed, "Can I eat first?"

She laughed, "That's absolutely precious! Get in the shower."

With that, she shoved me, and I was on my way. I took a short, but warm shower. I pulled my hair into a bun and followed Lindsay to the car. Mom was already sitting in the front seat, glued to her phone. The second I got in the car, I smirked.

"Kids and their phones these days!"

She shot me a glare from the rearview mirror, "It's only because of you."

"Yeah, she's been making your appointments all morning," Lindsay chimed in. "Add nails."

I sat in silence for the rest of the car ride, lost in thought. The day was finally here. It was terrifying to think that I was only weeks from graduating high school. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I had to decide quickly. My parents agreed to let me take a year off if I worked. I've learned that a year isn't a very long time.

In fact, my year was almost up. That thought didn't bother me as much anymore. I may not have gotten to do everything in the world, but I got some remarkable experiences. If I've done nothing else, I've at least left my mark on a few lives. The lives that matter to me. That was enough for me.

My hair and makeup were being done at the same time. I could tell by glancing at Lindsay that she wanted to do it instead. I offered, but she turned it down, saying she wanted me to have the full experience. I thought the full experience was the dance itself, but apparently, I was wrong.

I was thankful when they finished because I was tired of sitting in the chair. I was there for about two hours, but it was all worth it when I saw my reflection. I felt like a goddess. My hair was slicked into a low ponytail that was a curly- but controlled- mess. My makeup was subtle but definitely noticeable. My eyes were a nude pink, my personal favorite. The eyeliner wasn't winged, which made sense considering I had false lashes on. My lips were wine red, which would pair well with my dress. She also did my eyebrows, cleaning them up a bit and filling them in.

Afterwards, we headed to the nail salon. We all ended up getting mani-pedis. The hand massage was by far the best part. My nails were matte black with small black rhinestones on the middle fingers. I was finally glad to on the way back home. Once we got there, I realized just how much work getting ready for these things are. I slipped into my dress and shoes.

I decided on a burgundy, off-the-shoulder dress. Though my shoes weren't visible, I wanted them to be as beautiful as the dress. They were white platform heels, covered in glitter. I knew I'd be switching into flats by the end of the night, but it was the thought that counted.