Chapter Fourty-Three:

Ruka (1)

Zuko and I met at our usual spot to talk about when we would head out. Except, Iroh joined us this time.

"Zhao will not attack again until daybreak, which means you must leave tonight." Iroh told Zuko and I in a stern manner.

Zuko and I looked to each other and nodded.

"You both know what you're going to do?" Iroh asked us. Zuko and I faced him and nodded once again.

"Very well. I must get back to Zhao before he sends someone after me. Stay hidden for a little while longer. That goes for you as well Ruka. I told him you were tied up so you wouldn't try anything since your bending is stronger at night."

I didn't know about my bending being stronger at night, however, I always did feel my bending gain more strength during that time. Again, I nodded to Iroh before he left out of the room.

"You think we could pull this off?" I asked Zuko in a low voice. Zuko faced me, "If you do what I say, we shouldn't have a problem."

"You have to promise me you won't hurt my sister because knowing her, she'll be by Aang's side."

Zuko kept his eyes on me, "I will do what I have to do to get the Avatar."

"...then I won't hesitate to fight you, Zuko."

Zuko placed on his soldier mask before he left out of the room. I sighed, following after.

>>>

I stayed in the room with nothing to do. That was until an all too familiar stranger came into the room.

I widened my eyes as I saw Hiko walking toward me with a smile. "Hey stranger."

"...I totally forgot you were on this ship..."

"Wow, has it been that long?"

"No, but - you know how it is. I- there's just been a lot going on and-"

Hiko pulled me into a loose hug. "I thought you were dead."

I furrowed my brows while pulling away. "Why?"

"We heard about the ship explosion. Zhao told us you were on the boat along with Zuko. When I saw Iroh, I gave him my condolences and he told me you in fact weren't dead and just hadn't gone to see me." Hiko explained with his brow raised and a smirk.

I chuckled while rolling my eyes.

"I'm sorry about Zuko."

I froze, realizing that Iroh didn't tell him that Zuko made it out alive as well. "O-oh... that's alright."

Hiko gave me a sheepish expression while rubbing the back of his neck. "About that kiss back on the ship..."

The door opened and in came Zuko and Iroh. We all widened our eyes at each other - Zuko just outing himself.

Zuko gave an angered expression while started to stomp over to Hiko. Before he could threaten him, I stood in front of him. "I'll handle it."

Zuko huffed while walking around us.

I turned around to Hiko who was still shocked. "Listen to me very closely. You have to keep your mouth shut about Zuko and I. We're leaving on our own to the North Pole and no one knows but us three and now you. If I hear that anything more than a peep came out of you, I will personally find you and deal with you myself. You're lucky I don't deal with you now for kissing me and letting me look dumb afterward. Have you no manners?!"

Hiko, Zuko, and Iroh looked at me with their brows raised and lips parted.

"Well don't just stand here! There's work to be done - hot head and I have to depart soon!"