3 and a Half Kryptonians

I don't know if I should go to work today. It's only been 12 hours since Lena found out she had 'super' girlfriend. I reach for the door handle that leads to Lena's office.

"Come in Zenara." Lena said on the other side.

I came in slowly. I left the scouter there on purpose. I know I'm terrible for doing it and I feel just as bad.

"How did you know it was me?" I asked keeping my head down as if I were in trouble.

"The scouter. You left it." She said. "Why aren't you looking at me?"

"I have a confession to make. I left the scouter there on your desk on purpose."

There was an awkward silence that filled the office. When I managed to look up at her she gave me a half smile.

"I'm sorry." I said not wanting to make eye contact again.

"Here, come sit with me." Lena said moving to the couch.

"Please don't be nice to me. I need you to be mad at me for messing with your relationship." I said not moving an inch.

"Oh I am mad. But your the only other friend I have right now. Please, come sit."

"Yes ma'am."

"Now. I guess I can't be truly mad at you. It's like you said, it wasn't your secret to tell."

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked.

"I don't see why not."

"How did you not know? I mean the glasses don't help at all."

Lena took a deep breath. "You know at first I suspected she was but then I saw them both in the same room. So I just figured she had a Doppelgänger. Some people just look alike, you know."

"So you saw them in the same room and then what? That idea just left?"

"Yeah. I thought my awesome girlfriend just happens to look like Supergirl. But now that I think about it, it all makes sense." She said staring off into space.

She's upset, so I just sit back and listen to what she has to say. "All the times she's walked out of dates or work. God I'm so stupid."

"No Lena, your not stupid. You saw them together. Anyone would've believed they were two different people." I reached for her hand but stop midway. I feel like I would be over stepping a boundary if I touch her now. But it's killing me to see her like this.

As I was about to pull my hand back Lena grabs it and holds on to it tightly.

"Right. But still. I should've known. All those times when Supergirl saved me when I'd tell her to save the others and leave me. God, the night in that plane when she told me to climb. She insisted that I'd climb. She didn't want to 'let me go' she said. Or the time I was attacked in my office. I was actually on the phone with Kara when that happened. I was pushed off the edge of the balcony and in seconds I was in Supergirls arms." She paused. "I really should've put two and two together." 

"She loves you. You know. Supergirl or not she'll go to ends of the universe for you."

"I know." She paused, "I'm not even upset about Kara being Supergirl. I'm more upset about her not trusting me with the secret." A single tear fell from her eyes.

"Maybe it's not about trust. Maybe it's about safety. Think about it, if anyone found out about it they can use that to their advantage. Like the day they took Alex."

"Someone took Alex? Kara didn't tell me that."

"Oh she didn't tell me either. Mon-El did. The boy can't keep his mouth shut."