Chapter 49: Gone

Papyrus walked in to his warm, cozy home, his usual bright smile spread over his face.

It had been quite a fun afternoon between him and his favorite celebrity.

He and Mettaton had had a romantic picnic under the sunset.

"SANS! GRILLBY! I'M HOME!" he announced cheerfully.

The house was quiet.

Too quiet.

Something didn't feel right....

Skeptically, Papyrus raised an eyebrow and quietly tiptoed upstairs to his brother's room.

He tried to peek the door open but it was locked.

"SANS?" Papyrus asked with concern.

His brother usually never locked his door unless he wanted to isolate himself from people when he felt down, something Papyrus hated because how could he help out if he didn't find a way to reach him?

"SANS... OPEN THE DOOR. LET ME IN. I CAN HELP YOU WITH WHATEVER IT IS YOU'RE DEALING WITH." Papyrus pleaded.

"not now paps" Sans' voice was heard, muffled through the door.

His voice sounded eerie.

Papyrus huffed.

"SANS! OPEN THE DOOR, DEAR BROTHER! I AM NOT LEAVING UNTIL YOU DO SO!"

There was a small click, signaling the door had been unlocked.

Papyrus opened the door, only to find Sans sitting up on his bed, looking at Papyrus with such an empty, broken, pained smile, and his face covered in dry tears.

"SANS! WHAT HAPPENED!?" Papyrus asked worriedly, running to Sans and embracing him in a warm, caring hug.

"he's not coming back... i told him not to do so..." He uttered, hiding his face in his brother's red scarf.
________________

Grillby slammed the door to his room shut and grunted.

"Why does everything I care about has to rot!?" He shouted, tears streaming over his face as he then proceeded to kick his furniture and make a mess in his room out of grief, and frustration.

'we're over' Sans' voice rang over and over like an eternal echo in his mind.

"No, Grillby. Control yourself." He reminded himself, his hands over his face.

"Control..."

He took deep breaths.

Grillby began rearranging his room, wiping his tears away and then taking a seat on his bed once finally done.

He picked up his digital clock from his carpet and looked down for a long minute before turning up the radio.

Grillby laid back and closed his eyes, the 70's styled rock music from the radio still playing through the quietness of the apartment.

He didn't know what to do anymore.

He felt lost without the guidance of the one he loved most, asides from his family of course.
______________

Another day, after another.

Still no sign.

He felt bad about himself.

He reacted bad, and he knew it.

His reaction was almost like... his father's first reaction to his relationship with Sans.

He didn't want it to be like this.

Grillby sighed and leaned on the counter.

It was just another simple, empty day at work.