13 ¦ Body and Soul

Mastering astral projection turned out to be a royal pain in the neck.

Quite literally.

Every time I tried to cast the spell, some dark-haired, pale, skinny Royal bimbo decided to break out into a hysterical fit of squeaky laughter. No amount of glaring would make her shut up. Every time my magic failed, my cervical receptors burned as though someone had set them on fire.

Clearly, some people didn't realize the purpose of a library.

"This is pointless," I said to Peter in a frustrated whisper. "It's never going to work as long as that nitwit's here."

"We could go to a private, secluded study room," he replied.

"No, thanks."

"They have windows, you know," he said with a sigh. "You wouldn't have to worry about my intentions or your reputation. The walls and furniture are all bare. No distractions."

"Fine." I sighed when the fool cackled again and squeezed her boyfriend's bicep. "Maybe that'd be for the best."

We packed up our stuff just as she began to make out with her Barbarian boyfriend right in the middle of the reading hall. Only a Royal could get away with such nonsense. If she were anyone else, a librarian would tell her off quicker than you could say, Stop eating his face!

"Ugh, seriously," I muttered.

"The nerve," Peter said, his eyes twinkling.

"Doesn't that annoy you?"

"After eighty thousand years, give or take, you learn to ignore annoying people." He shrugged. "Or you become a murderer. I chose the former."

We closed the door to the study room and sat at the narrow desk. "Ah, peace and quiet," I said, closing my eyes with a sigh of relief.

"Snug and cozy," Peter smirked as he scooted closer to me.

"Don't push your luck, old man." I pointed at the chair opposite. "Sit across from me."

"Pfft, old man." He pursed his lips. "Technically, I'm only two years older than you."

With a heavy sigh, I cupped my forehead. "Right, so how do I draw enough mana again? I keep failing at the crucial moment."

"Try this," he said in a serious tone. "Imagine your power is located in a deep well. Can you picture that in your mind?"

"Yes," I said, my eyes closed.

"Now, get a large bucket and lower it into the well until you hear a splash."

In my mind's eye, I envisioned a large, empty keg. Adjusting it to fit the mechanism, I lowered the bucket into the well. A glugging sound echoed as water rushed into it.

"Good, Liselle. Now turn the crank to raise the bucket and drink the water."

"All of it?"

"Yes."

Grasping the bucket in both hands, I gulped the icy water and grimaced. To my surprise, the liquid burned all the way down, turning into a raging fire inside my chest and stomach. The sensation made me dizzy, and I gripped the edge of the desk to keep myself steady.

A painful tingling like tiny lightning bolts coursed through my veins as my magical power raced towards my receptors. "I feel it! I feel it, Peter!"

"Good, good," he said, his voice laced with enthusiasm. "Now draw it towards your hands until they begin to burn inside. When you can't hold it in any longer, say Avian sight."