Interlude: Love and Monsters

"No idea what the thing is," the Doctor was saying as they entered a warehouse in London. "Once we figure out what it is, then we can start figuring out what to do."

"Right," Jessie agreed, fixing her hair again.

The Doctor looked at her. "Have the nightmares kept going on?"

Yes. "No," Jessie lied as she tugged on her ponytail. "Not since two months ago."

"And since then, I fought off an Elemental Shade, we've seen Benjamin Franklin, Marie Curie, and the futuristic version of hot cocoa," the Doctor rattled off.

Jessie rolled her eyes. "I still can't believe you made best friends with Benjamin Franklin. Followed by you getting shocked on that kite. I'm surprised you're not fried to death."

"I don't look different." The Doctor held open the door to the warehouse. "At least, I don't think I do."

Jessie snorted. "You've still got the normal gob, if that's any help."

He rolled his eyes as they walked in, looking at the sonic screwdriver. "Alien life form this way."

Jessie followed him towards a closed-off room. He peeked through the rotten door and inhaled. "Ah." He grinned at her. "Hoix!"

"Gesundheit," she joked.

The Doctor grinned at her. "No, seriously. Look." Jessie stood on her toes to match his height, and she made a face at the reptilian alien with loads of teeth sleeping. "Hoix!"

"I still say gesundheit."

The Doctor looked away. "Right, you stay here." She opened her mouth to say something, but he was already running off. She sat down on the ground, picking at her boot laces. A good fifteen minutes later, the Doctor came running back. "OK, we need to lure it out of there. There are several buckets around this place I think we can work with. As long as you don't grab the blue buckets."

"Right." Jessie stood up. "And what do we do with the bucket?"

"Pour its contents all over the Hoix."

"Gesund - "

"Jessie!"

She grinned at him. "Hold on."

She backed up, then snap-kicked the rotten door. It broke loose with a loud ruckus, and the Hoix woke up from where it was sleeping. It roared, and the Doctor grinned at her. "Brilliant!" He backed up. "And now we - "

"Run!" both of them yelled happily, and they were off.

***

"Doctor!" The Doctor stopped, hearing Jessie's shout a few minutes later. "Doctor! The trap!"

He turned and ran towards her just before she ran into him. "Where's he gone?" he demanded, looking around. "Can you see him?"

Jessie ran back around the other corner. "There he is!" The Doctor followed her out. "Stop!" He did, looking at her in bewilderment as she continued looking around. "No! Watch out! There!"

"Where?" the Doctor asked hopelessly as she ran off. "Where?"

He heard a door open further away and the roar of the Hoix. He shook his head, then took a pork chop from his pockets - good bigger on the inside pockets, he thought happily - and ran in that direction.

The Hoix was standing there, growling at a frightened young man with blond hair, which was staring at the alien in shock. He quickly appeared behind the Hoix, waving the pork chop. "Here, boy! Eat the food! Come on. Look at the lovely food." The Hoix sniffed, then turned to him. "Isn't that nice? Isn't it? Yes, it is." He threw a look at the man, who was looking at him incredulously. "Get out of here," he ordered. "Quickly." He turned back to the Hoix, going back to a coaxing tone. "That's a boy. Wouldn't you like a porky choppy, then?" He glared at the man, who hadn't budged. "I said run!"