TWENTY-EIGHT // Piper

HOW WORDS DON'T COME EASY TO HER

When Micah pulls into my driveway, the first thing I notice is my sister's car parked next to my dad's work truck. I sigh loudly, glancing toward the front window to see if Ash just happens to magically be standing there, but to my surprise, she isn't. Something tells me I'll have to tell her every minimal detail once I get inside, though.

            "That your sister's ride?" Micah wonders aloud, nodding his head toward the car.

            I nod. "I guess she didn't have to work tonight." It's only nine, seriously, what the hell is she doing here so early?

            He shrugs, unbuckling as he turns the engine off, removing the key. "Alright well I'll walk y'up. Let your mom know I got you home safely."

            I roll my eyes, unbuckling myself and trying my hardest to not cough up hornets, but the more I breathe the harder it becomes.

"I think she likes you," I comment as we're walking along the concrete pathway.

"Yeah?" He grins, tilting his head smugly. My hand bumps into his and he takes the opportunity to lace our fingers together. "I'm a charmer."

"Oh, shut up," I scoff, shoving his shoulder.

He laughs as he stumbles into the grass ever so slightly before resuming his place next to me on the path, taking my hand in his once more. "So how was your first-ever-first-date?"

"It was..." I pause, walking a little slower. "Perfect. Thank you for it."

"Thank you for letting me," He replies, smiling. "Be your first, I mean," He adds, then says a moment later, "I really do feel honored."

I smile, shaking my head. "I don't know why."

            "I know you don't see it," He says, suddenly thoughtful, "but you really are extraordinary, Pipes."

            "Oh, big words," I tease, nudging his arm.

            "No, I'm serious," He says, stopping suddenly in the middle of the path. I stop, too, raising an eyebrow at him as my hand slips from his. "You really are amazing, confusin' sometimes, but amazin'. You make me think and you make me a better person—"

            "Mic—"

            "And I know you think this is a whole load of bullshit, that there's no way I could be sayin' this, but I mean every word. I just want you to hear me."

            He stares at me expectantly, wanting me to respond, but I have no words. It's sweet of him to say, really, but I just don't...understand. I don't know how or why he would say something like that, and it's—my brain is having a hard time processing it right now.

            So, of course, when I open my mouth all that comes out is word vomit. "That was very rom-com of you."

            His expectance turns tired, almost upset.

            I grimace, fiddling with the strings on the leather bracelet. "I'm sorry, I'm an ass, I just can't...process it right now. But thank you."

            He still looks frustrated, and I don't blame him one bit, but he nods in understanding. He steps forward, taking my hand away from the other so I'll stop picking at my fingernails, and intertwines our fingers together. He kisses the back of my hand again, softly, reassuring.

            I smile gently, sadly. "I'll find words soon, I promise, I just—"

            "It's a lot, I know," He chuckles. "I shouldn't have just randomly said it like that."