CHAPTER 9: New Direction

ADRIAN

The tension in the meeting room had been so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

If William saw Vanessa as his heiress, how could he have kept something as major as a partnership from her?

Unless he didn't see her as an option at all and that stupid girl was just pushing her luck.

I tried warning her that if she was so clueless, the meeting could be a lot to take in but I guess giving someone a handkerchief is not the best way to do that.

She looked furious when she left and if William did not sort things with her over lunch, we could be expecting drama tonight.

And I was right.

"Vanessa? Is Vanessa here?" a hassled William walked into the mansion.

Cassandra frowned, "I don't think she has come back yet. Is everything okay?"

I walked down the stairs to the hall.

When he saw me, he said, " I have tried her phone. She is not picking it up. When I reached the restaurant, she wasn't there."

It wasn't even ten o'clock yet. Why was he so paranoid?

"She will be back soon. I don't think that you should worry," I said calmly.

"No, son. The last time something like this happened, she...I am going to look for her."

"Look for who?" Came an icy voice from the front door.

Vanessa stormed into the house, saying sarcastically, " Some people do stay true to their words, father."

"We need to talk. I..."

She interrupted him saying, " We have nothing to talk about. You have always been taking sides and now is not going to be any different, I should know that by now."

"Nessa, I love you as much as I love Nate and Jenny."

"I believe you," she scoffed," If I was important, you would have come to the restaurant at time today, not an hour late!"

"I was stuck somewhere."

"Of course, you were! Everything else becomes a priority when it comes to me, doesn't it?" She yelled.

"Vanessa! Don't create a scene," He checked her.

"Fine but please get this straight that I am not going to be a scapegoat and I am definitely not signing the share transfer papers if you don't come up with something better."

"Are you black mailing me?"

"Are you cutting costs at my end and trying to fool me? Seven percent! Couldn't the shares be equally divided?"

"Fine," William yelled and turned to go upstairs.

"Before you leave, do keep in mind that until I sign, I will still have twenty percent of the shares and the takeover would not take place," Vanessa challenged.

She was saying this in the house of the people her company was to enter a partnership with.

Gutsy or rather stupid?

"Nate and you can discuss over it when he comes here tomorrow," William said.

Vanessa nodded and they parted ways.

VANESSA

3rd December

The meeting was today and I had a plan chalked out. I was up all night but my idea was definitely worth it.

I was nervous and the freezing weather was not helping either. It was now that I realised how close we were to Christmas.

Once upon a time, I would start shopping right after thanksgiving. December was my favourite month but now, I couldn't care less. In fact, Christmas made me feel empty and lonely.

I took a shower and put on a pair of blue denim jeans, a black t-shirt and a maroon hoodie. I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and went down for breakfast.

As I had expected, Nate was here.

I sat down opposite Adrian and Nate because after yesterday, I wasn't so pleased to sit beside dad which was the only other vacant seat.

I greeted everyone and then took my food in the plate. I was about to begin eating but Nate smirked, "Interesting choice of outfit for our meeting."

"I wear formals when I am expecting important people but the only meeting I have today, is with you," I returned his smirk.

Adrian caught onto my insult and coughed to cover up for his slight chuckle but everyone else ignored it.

Once we finished breakfast, I went into a conference room built on the first floor of the mansion along with dad, Nate and Adrian. I opened the presentation that I had prepared and started off.

He had been working closely with dad for years now and by now he knew what dad wanted so there was not much I could change with the presentation without dad out rightly rejecting it.

So, I shared an idea that dad could consider.

"A change in power dynamics is bound to upset the way in which things are functioning but we can minimize that by doing this only once.

We all can agree that the last few months have taken a toll on you. You were to decide who would be your heir by next year or the year after that but I propose that you pass on the responsibility of Hudson Enterprises on our shoulders, a little sooner.

Instead of a shabby share division that is rather unreliable and will change within the span of the next two year, I suggest that you put one of us in charge by the first week of January.

By this time all the paperwork for the partnership would have been completed and together with our partners, the new CEO could give a new direction to the company.

This way the share division would be:

CEO - 51%

Director (Other competitor) - 15%

Greys & Co. - 30%

Others - 4% "

I gave a few more benefits of this proposal and concluded the meeting.

"I will decide which proposal to go with, by tomorrow." Dad said, getting up from his seat.

I looked back at dad for any feedback but he only said, " Good presentation," and walked out of the room with Nate, leaving me and Adrian to our own thoughts.

A/N: This chapter was a build up for the upcoming story so tell how you like it. Criticism and ideas are most welcome. 😊