14 ¦ The Tree of Life

As the weeks passed, my Healer abilities improved thanks to Peter's tutelage, but I began to neglect Wizardry and Clerical classes. Juggling three subjects proved to be much harder than I'd thought.

With surprising ease, I lost myself in my work in order to forget the harrowing experience of seeing Father alive. I wanted to block the flashbacks of his monstrosity breaking a huge log in half and roaring louder than a thunderstorm.

Everything else fell by the wayside, including whatever semblance of a social life I'd had. The week before finals, Bragda tried to drag me out of my room after class. She threw her battle ax in the corner and slammed my book shut.

"Hey!" I exclaimed with indignation.

"Sis, join me in the pub. We need to relax before our exams start."

"I can't," I replied, giving her an apologetic glance.

"But it's the weekend."

"I have a paper to write on matter manipulation for Wizardry and a Clerical discussion paper on mutual respect during interfaith seminars."

"You need a damn break!" Bragda exclaimed.

"I'm going to fail if I don't."

"When in Hades did you get less than a perfect mark on a paper?"

"That's because I study, sis."

Bragda put her hands on her hips. "At least visit the Tree of Life. You haven't slept properly in days, and you look like shit."

"Thanks a lot," I muttered. "You go ahead without me this time. I promise we'll have quality time after the crazy finals are over."

"Fine, whatever. See ya."

For an entire week, I slept no more than four hours a night in order to catch up on my assignments. One day after I'd almost fallen asleep in class, Professor Petrescu cornered me and spoke to me in private.

"I'm worried about you," she said in a kind tone as Peter packed her equipment away.

"But I'm getting perfect marks and aced that paper on--"

She pursed her lips. "I'm not talking about your academic abilities. I'm talking about your health."

"What do you mean?"

Professor Petrescu gestured at me from head to toe. "You're losing weight. You're pale. You have dark circles under your eyes, and you're very drowsy and depressed in class."

Good gods, she doesn't miss a thing, does she?

"I'm fine, Professor."

"When was the last time you visited the Tree of Life?"

I blinked.

She shook her head. "That's what I thought."

"I'll go soon, I promise."

"You can't take on three classes and neglect your health," she said in a firm voice. "Those are telltale signs of mana deprivation. A minor, treatable ailment, but dangerous if left unchecked."

"I'll go on the Day of Rest," I replied.

"Good. This week, please." She paused. "Your Cleric professor has told me that you've had trouble centering yourself during the Life Force Ceremony."

I sighed and nodded.

"Perhaps Mr. Sardon can help," she suggested with a smile Peter reciprocated. "He's well versed in the Risan spiritual rituals. Judging by your last round of tutoring, you make a good team."