Chapter 3: This is a Nightmare

"They've promised that dreams can come true 

but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too." 

—  Oscar Wilde

She eventually had to go back to cook to the building that should be her home, but in reality wasn't. She prayed that the next week wouldn't be chaotic for the excitement of the children that thought about the dragons.

She somehow knew, it was already a lost battle.

She was right. Absolutely, bloody, viciously right.

The week was a total hell.

Children screaming, housekeepers screaming, children crying, horrible nightmares of people dying who would keep Lily awake all night.

And then again children screaming, housekeepers screaming, children crying, nightmares... all in an infinite circle of eternal damnation.

Lily was tired.

All she wanted was to sleep. Or to go to her clearing and sleep, or to go to her bed and sleep. She felt like ripping her hairs off.

The week had passed with works and works that Madam "I am the incarnation of the devil himself" Spite had decided to make her do, maybe in an attempt to drown the girl on despair and fatigue, or in a vain effort to let her irritation go away.

It was clear as the day that Madam "go to work you useless brat!" Spite hated for sure the Search Days, the week were the dragons would go around the world to find their riders.

But while the "devil" seemed to loathe this eventuality, the children appeared completely thrilled by the event. They watched every day the sky in an attempt to see some dragon, ignoring the housekeepers that wanted to make them do some homework, or listened to the cracked news on the radio in the evening. Then talked about it again, and again, until Lily's ears were about to burst.

It seemed that already six of the Seven Legendary Dragons had found their partner and were already on their way back to the Academy. When the news had hit that a pair of twins had found two of said dragons, everyone actually screamed and jumped for the excitement.

Literally a unique event, it was even rare with normal dragons.

No one knew who were the dragons or the riders for a security matters, or maybe simply because the Academy seemed to hate the reporters that had assaulted the building. Not that Lily blamed them, the journalist were like leeches. Everyone else was left wondering who they were and who would be the last lucky one.

But all this activity was at expense of the poor girl, that seemed a walking zombie with heavy dark circles under her eyes. The days were a living nightmare, filled with the hardest jobs she ever did and the nights... the nights were even more horrible.