#27: Hunk of Burning Love

The crowd hushed as I stepped unto the stage with legs that felt like rubber. I kept my eyes trained on the two microphones that had been set up, right smack in the middle as a spotlight followed my every move. One mic had been adjusted to my level, and the other for my guitar.

I cleared my throat as I shuffled to a stop at the mics, shooting a quick look at Charlie. She sent me a too-wide grin and thumbs up. I took a deep breath and faced the crowd once again. My eyes immediately went to where Leo was seated. He was watching me with wide eyes and a mouth that hung open in shock. He was obviously starting to piece everything together. Before my brain could agonize whether it was good shock, or a bad shock, I started strumming, feeling my nerves settle with each note.

Lord almighty,
I feel my temperature rising

With the first words to Elvis Presley's Burning Love, I felt myself start to smile.

Girl, girl, girl
You gonna set me on fire

The crowd started clapping to the beat, and my foot started tapping. A giddy feeling started bubbling inside of me. I closed my eyes to the image of my school mates smiling at each other as the continued to clap.

Your kisses lift me higher
Like a sweet song of a choir

I heard some voices join mine in the crowd, and when clapping started going off behind me, I chanced a startled look over my shoulder. I saw the Ragtag Boys dancing, properly this time, and giving me encouraging smiles. I smiled back, though a bit bewildered, and continued singing. Then drums started playing, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a drum set had been rolled unto the stage, and the girl sitting behind it sent me a grin before doing a fancy twist with her drum sticks.

It's coming closer
The flames are reaching my body

I saw some people in the front row get up and start dancing around. A pair of friends were shaking their shoulders as they leaned in then away from each other. It made my smile bigger. I tilted my head to see Charlie and found her being twirled around by a guy as she twisted her hips and mouth the words with exaggeration.

'Cause your kisses lift me higher
Like a sweet song of a choir

Harmonies joined my lead voice, and not a second later, a girl and a guy stood on both sides of me, copying a sway I didn't even know I was doing.

I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Aaaah!
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Aaaah!
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Aaaah!
A hunk, a hunk of burning love
Aaaah!

I locked eyes with the drummer, nodding at her. She grinned and nodded back, and with a flourish, ended the song on a fancy beat. Cheers, claps and whistles filled the auditorium, and I was suddenly surrounded by everyone who joined me on stage. The Ragtag Boys lead all of us in jumping cheers as I hugged my guitar to my front and laughed. We all shared fist bumps, high fives and compliments as we started walking off the stage.

I looked over my shoulder to where Leo sat and felt my heart drop.

He's not there.

I swallowed thickly, and forced a smile as I felt an encouraging slap on my back. Everyone was talking excitedly over each other and Mr. Gloss went back on with the crowd still cheering. I excused myself from all the bustling, using my guitar as an excuse. They nodded at me and said their congratulations and, hurry back! as I walked off to where I had placed my guitar case.

It was off in a dark corner so people won't trip over it. As I knelt down and placed my guitar back in it's case, I felt the tears starting clog my throat and burn the back of my eyes. I stood back up once I finished snapping the case shut, wanting nothing more than to have the ground open up and swallow me whole.

A warm hand took hold of mine, and the next thing I knew, I was being led through the still buzzing with excitement backstage crowd, silently pass the auditorium, and out unto the school's empty hallway. All the while, I stared dumbly at the broad back of one Leonardo Bracci.

When he stopped in front of a school bulletin advertising upcoming and ongoing events (like the talent show), he let go of my hand, spun around to face me, opened his mouth to say something, closed it, then fell down into a crouch. He brought his arms up to cover his head and groaned.

I mentally applauded him for being able to do anything at all. I couldn't even speak.

One dark eye peeked up at me from equally dark lashes.

"I can't believe I hit you with a football."

I laughed.

***

Bloopers:

She grinned and nodded back, and with a flourish, ended the song on a fancy beet.

Me:
A vegetable?? Lol. I'll never live that one down.

* * *

ATTENTION: If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in it's original, safe, form, please go to https://www.wattpad.com/user/awkward_tumbleweed

Thank you.