5: Causing Trouble in Rivendell

After nearly being killed by an aggressive pack of orcs and wargs, the Company had reached Rivendell.

Before today, you had never seen an elf. You had only heard stories about them. When you and the rest of the company arrived in Rivendell, your first impression of them wasn't a good one. They were tall, thin, and dainty. The complete opposite of dwarves. They didn't eat meat, which seemed quite absurd to you. You were constantly judging them, but forced yourself to keep your mouth shut, however, the look on your face clearly told them how you felt. Fili, who was standing beside you, watched the elves with the same look of utter disapproval.

Thorin wanted to leave immediately, but Gandalf said that the Company would be staying the night.

As you were lead to your rooms, you and Fili held hands.

The two elves leading you walked with such grace and elegance, a sharp contrast to the way dwarves walked.
Fili poked your arm. He pointed to the elves in front of you then at himself, before attempting to mock them. He put his hands behind his back and walked on his tiptoes, keeping his legs straight. You tried to stifle a laugh, clumsily slapping a hand over your mouth, but elves must have heard you, for they turned around and looked in your direction. Fili quickly returned to walking normally and you put on a straight face. The elves turned to face forward.

Now you decided it was your turn to poke fun at the elves. You picked up two leaves off the ground and tucked them in your hair, like long pointed ears. Then, you walked ahead of Fili and turned around to face him, copying the elves' disgusted facial expressions.

Fili smiled at you, trying not to laugh. Suddenly, his smile faded and his eyes grew wide. You stopped and reluctantly turned around. In front of you stood two very annoyed elves.

•••

You had finally reached your room. Fili followed you inside, making sure not to make eye contact with either of the elves.

Fili smiled and shook his head at you before hugging you from behind.

"I'm glad you're here (Y/N)." Fili sighs. "You mean the world to me."

"And I'm glad you're here Fili," you look up at him, "Because... when you came into my world, you became it."

You look up at Fili while he holds you in his arms. You place a gentle kiss on his lips. You feel his lips curve into a smile as your lips touch.
•••
Later, you were given food... or at least the elves idea of food. To you and the rest of the Company, it looked like just a bunch of leaves and grass thrown on a plate. There wasn't a single piece of meat on the table. Just salad and some sort of elvish bread.

"Where's the meat!?" Dwalin slammed his fist on the table, searching for something that seemed edible.

"I don't like green food!" Ori crossed his arms and looked at his plate with disgust.

"Come on, try it!" Dori tried to coax his younger brother to eat, even though he too looked disgusted by it.

No matter how unappetizing this "food" looked, you knew you wouldn't be getting anything else to eat, so you forced yourself to consume it. As you picked up a leaf of spinach and tentatively took a bite out of it, you noticed Kili looking at Fili from across the table. They both began to smile before nodding at each other and whispering "3... 2... 1... GO!"

All of a sudden they picked up their plates of salad and dumped it on the table. The other dwarves did the same, each of them picking up two large handfuls of salad and chucking it at each other and even at the elves who had been peacefully watching. You grinned and picked up what was on your plate, throwing the fistful of spinach skillfully at one elf's head. He stepped out of the way and looked at you with disapproval.

Bofur had jumped onto the table and was now singing and dancing. The rest of you began to clap. It was a good thing Thorin decided to stay in his room. He probably wouldn't approve of all the fun going on.

You are so happy you begin to laugh. Fili can't contain his laughter either as you lose your balance and topple backwards off your chair. You roll on the floor, laughing hysterically. Fili reaches down to help you up, but ends up missing your hand and landing on the ground beside you.

Once you both manage to return to your seats, the rest of the dwarves have joined in singing. Bofur's dancing and the pounding of fists on the tabletop is causing it to shake. The table breaks, sending any leftover food crashing to the ground. The company erupts with laughter as Bofur leaps onto one end of the table, creating a catapult, sending the dishes flying into the air. Everyone applauds as he catches them in a neat pile in one hand. He shoves the stack of plates into the hands of one of the horrified elves observing the situation. Everyone gets up to go back to their rooms, leaving the broken table and chairs for the elves to clean up.