Sixty-Two

Songs: 

Miss You - Blink-182

All I Want - Kodaline || But if you loved me, why’d you leave me?

Sink Or Swim - Lewis Watson

Wake Me Up - Ed Sheeran

| sixty-two | 

The rain began to pelt down on the crowded streets of Los Angeles. The hot, Californian sun was suddenly covered by a dark, lonely cloud.. The city had become a deserted mess as the rain began to fall down. Everyone ran around the streets franticly as the searched for some form of shelter. Women held their purses over their heads, not caring if their thousand dollar Marc Jacobs handbag was now ruined. Men pulled their expensive suit jackets over their heads hoping it would shield them from the sudden monsoon. 

Ava looked out her foggy window, her knees curled up to her chest, and her oversized knitted sweater pulled down to her feet. She laughed to herself how convenient it was that she had packed this sweater, not thinking she would actually wear it in the hot sun. She gave herself a mental pat on the back for her irrational thought process while packing. 

Her head laid softly against her pillow as she peered out into the gloomy scene. A small smile kissed her lips. The rain, as cold and gross as it may be, felt homely and friendly. It was a simple reminder of home. It was a little glimpse of what was to come in a weeks time. 

Her apartment felt cold and lonely. A sudden chill ripped through her sweater causing Ava to snuggle even close to the knit fabric. As she stared out her window, her mind began to go over the past few months. 

This summer was not what she had hoped it would be. She had been originally excited for what California would bring to her. The internship was an opportunity that  would open up doors for her future. It gave her a glimpse at what her future could be. It fed her passions for the news and even opened up her creativity when it came to writing. The one thing that she never knew she truly enjoyed. But the more that she thought about writing, she began to see the irony in it. Her father was a writer. 

Her father.

If there was one thing that she did not expect to learn this summer, was the falsehood of her father’s alleged death. It still teared her up inside when she thought about it. All these years she had believed that her dad was no longer alive. Not only that, but her mother had lied to her. She had deliberately chose to withhold her father from her, breaking any relationship she could have with him. 

That broke Ava’s heart the most. 

Everything that she had thought to be true about her mother was all a lie. She was a liar and was selfish. The worst part of it all, was that her mother was no longer alive to defend herself. Ava couldn’t talk to her mom about all of it. She couldn’t confront her for her decision to break any contact with Flint. 

A warm tear slid down Ava’s cold cheek. Stop crying, she thought to herself. The amount of times that she had cried over the past eight months made her feel sick to her stomach. 

Ava used to be strong. She had spent years after her mother’s death building up walls to protect herself from the hurt that the world brings. The world was a cruel place. People were malicious. They didn’t care about other people and never took into account their emotions. She had made a subconscious decision to never set herself up to get hurt. Using all of her might, she made sure that she wouldn’t ever be susceptible to the cruel behaviour that the world possessed. Yet, ever since she had met Harry, those walls were teared down leaving her in an emotional, vulnerable state. She hated it. She hated how vulnerable she had become over the past eight months.