Chapter 16

Lily Clairmount:

Nathaniel was sleeping on his bed in the room I'd previously set up for him. While he had been gone, I'd made it my mission to buy clothes that would adjust and fit to his size. It was a sort of enchantment done for children during their growing years. This was done because while young, without any Markings to show until their Magic unlocked, most parents didn't see the need for more than a few clothing. 

This wasn't done to seem like parents were neglecting their children but because Star Users usually could fix their own clothing sizes and even sometimes change the colors. So although it seemed unfair to not give children a variety of clothing, clothing in turn was a sort of status symbol. Since they didn't hold Markings until they turned 11 it was widely more accepting for them to wear less fanciful clothing. 

"He looks exhausted," I commented when I saw the dark circles under his eyes. He even seemed more skinny than the last time I saw him. If I hadn't noticed his chest rising I'd have thought he was dead. 

"It has been a taxing few days for him. When he wakes up I will have Rosemary bring him something to eat."

Rosemary was the maid who usually takes care of Helena along with Celia. Celia mostly helped me though while Taki helped with Damon's needs. Taki was similar to a butler in the sense that he catered to all of Damon's needs. Although to be fair, he seemed more scary than Damon half the time. 

"Good. Can you watch the children for a while? Since I just broke through I'd like to go further into the depths of the forest in order to solidify my Stars."

Damon glanced at me with amusement in his eyes, "I don't mind but are you sure you'll be okay? I could send someone along with you in case anything were to spring up that you can't handle."

I glared at him. "I'm not incompetent. You should hold more faith in me."

He gave a dramatic sigh before smiling and snaking an arm around my shoulders. "It's not that I don't have faith in you. I'm simply concerned for your well being."

My eyes rolled unconsciously before I drew away from him. "I'll be fine. It'll probably be a few hours before I get back. If it takes longer though I'll be sure to Scrye Call you from the streams."

His long pause as he tried to come to a decision didn't bother me because I knew he just cared for my safety. 

"Fine. But make sure if there truly is something you can't handle you retreat to the nearest water source in order for me to locate your position."

Scrye Calls were similar to what Video Calls on Cell Phones were except you manipulated the water in order to use it. I'd never understood why you needed a water source for it but it would condense the water element for the person on the receiving end. In my musings over it, I'd come to the conclusion that it maybe had something to do with needing the connection to the source of the water. 

After a few minutes, I was on my way out the door. I'd opted for flowing silver pants, covering my Markings. The reason I had been hiding them is because it would've given away the fact that I had control over more than 'Water' and what everyone believed to be 'Nature'. 

My new Marking across my stomach made me curious though. When I'd finally made my way further into the forest, everything had gone almost silent. Eerily so. Sounds from the City had been cut off and the only things making noises were the creatures living within. 

I'd had to use the wind to quickly bi-pass all the weaker creatures that wouldn't help with solidifying my magic. Stronger beasts were located deeper within the dense foliage. Once I reached the more 'dangerous' inner reaches of the forest I first came across a fairly common Rigid Back Water Beaver. 

These creatures usually didn't reach very high stages but surprisingly this one was in the 6th Star Stage

These creatures usually didn't reach very high stages but surprisingly this one was in the 6th Star Stage. Although I was one Star higher, these types of creatures were rather volatile.

As soon as I stepped into the water and caused ripples, it had turned snarling. It's front teeth were extremely sharp even in their lower stages but this ones teeth glittered with it's own light. These creatures specialized in Water. 

My musings were broken as the Water Beaver used its element to push itself in my direction. For being a creature that hides within the water it was really too fast. I gathered my magic and grew the grass hidden within the water into unimaginable heights. They twisted and turned and went to meet the beaver. 

Both clashed together, creating an impact that blew the water into the air as if someone had just cannon balled into it. The beaver's teeth easily ripped through the grass which I had already expected. I'd only needed to distract it as I removed my own soul weapon. 

When it broke through the last of the grass it proceeded to throw condensed water towards me. Easily blocked by my weapon which had been filled with my 7 Stars. A myriad of colors flashed over the surface of the dagger. 

My feet kicked off the surface of the water as I flung myself towards the beast. Twirling in a dance like manner, the water was flung away from me before it could destroy my clothes. It was a rather beautiful way of disarming an opponent. The dagger flashed and cut a large wound from the beaver but it seemed to not care and still flung itself at me. 

When it's teeth latched to my dominant arm, the soul weapon dropped out of my grip before returning to my body. There was no time to recall it so I pulled on my magic and realized what my new magic was. Apparently when the creature had drawn blood it had activated it. 

While unaware, the Magical Beast had begun to be drained by black vines that had at some point crept out of my arm to wrap around it. Thorns that looked sharper than it's teeth had wrapped around it's body before sucking the blood and magic from within. Before I could process what was happening the creature turned to dust and my wound was gone. 

There wasn't even a Magical Core left within. Which only left me with one answer. My magic had not only healed me by using it's blood as a nourishment but it had also taken in the Magic as well. 

How exciting! 

A/N: Honestly, I told you I'm not good at fighting scenes. lol. Sorry sorry.