Twenty Four : The Little Things

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Eros' warm breath fluttered the strands of hair on my temple when he spoke, startling me with his proximity and sudden appearance from my lack of attentiveness.

My thoughts had, once again, pulled me away from reality. I had not even realized that Granny Ada had cleaned up the plate and water almost an hour ago. 

Everything felt as if it was out of my hands.

I was becoming molded by my situation, letting myself become guided instead of guiding myself, as silly as that sounds.

It was weird to be tossed into this mess and forced to accommodate myself, like a sponge ready to soak up information and continue living. Although the environment had changed, I have not. 

No matter what, I continue to breath and live. 

The person making the decision is me. Not anyone else. 

Me.

I looked up at him through my lashes, contemplating the words that were revolving in my head like a chant or prayer, ready to drive me insane at any moment in time.

"Mating." 

That one simple word felt like a bomb dropped into the ocean, causing the calm waves to form giant tides and sweep the shore clean of everything.

I regretted it the moment that word left my lips, before my mind could catch up. If I could slap myself, I would have. But I'm not fond of pain or embarrassing myself in front of Eros, by proving to him that I am a psycho.

Not that I haven't embarrassed myself enough in front of him.

I know for certain that my cheeks are probably a bright shade of red now. I was mentally berating myself for saying that.

Why, in the world, did I say that?

"I like that you're more forward than I am, Emi." He chuckled, thin lips quirked upwards into a handsome smile that made my heart race. His blue eyes were staring into my own with this look of utter adoration. And I couldn't help but feel flattered. 

What did I do to deserve him and his adoration?

Did experimenting on his kind make for a good impression?

I'm joking again.

"I...I mean about what the council said," I tried to explain, feeling as if I am digging a deeper hole the more I tried to explain. 

I found myself slightly tongue tied. My mouth opened and, promptly, closed.

Eros suddenly swept a hand across my blushing cheeks. Then, I could feel his entire body tense.

His hands froze mid way across my cheeks, long tapered fingers rubbing against the delicate flesh.

I was clueless to his sudden reaction.

That slight quirk of his lips seemed slightly stiff now. His eyes darting from my hands to my shoulders, as if there was something on there that I couldn't see. 

I could tell that this invisible substance seemed to bother him because his brows had furrowed tightly together in response.

"Stay away from Zanthos, Emira," he warned. His tone of voice was soft. He said it like a suggestion, not a demand or a command, leaving me feeling as if my opinion actually mattered too. I felt my chest slightly deflate when I realized what was irritating him.

He could smell Zanthos on me.

"I know," I reply off the bat because it did not require thought to know this. I'm guessing that it wasn't my imagination when I said that Zanthos was a lot more dangerous than he looked.