Chapter 22 - The Secret of Christmas

One Sunday morning, after being snuggled under her heavy blankets all night, Jess was surprised by how cold it was when she pulled them off.  Trying to retain the lingering warmth from her bed, she slid her feet into her slippers and quickly pulled on a robe over her flannel nightgown.  While she looked through her wardrobe, she felt it might finally be cold enough she'd be willing to wear the long underwear Annie had insisted on buying for her.

Once dressed in several layers of cotton, denim, and wool, she opened the door to the back stairs and smiled as the smell of pancakes and bacon rose up with the warm air.  Hopping down the steps, she went to the stove for a hug from Annie.

"Good morning, pumpkin!  Hungry?" Annie asked cheerily.

"Yes, ma'am," Jess replied with a smile.  Turning to go to the table, she stopped mid-step by the view outside the window.  "What's that?" she exclaimed with shock, although it was obvious what she was seeing.  A large horse wearing a harness was standing placidly outside the garage, puffs of steam coming from its nostrils.

"It's Mr. Lindstrom's horse from the farm up the road.  Every year we hire him to bring his draft horse to help James get a Christmas tree from the woods."  Jess's heart suddenly stopped in her chest.

"That's nice," she said faintly as she went to the table. 

What if they went to the cabin?  Marty was bound to be there since he didn't work on Sundays.  Even if he managed to hide, once James went inside, there would be no way he wouldn't figure out someone had been using it. 

"While they're out getting the tree, I'll need you and Doug to help bring down the decorations from the attic," Annie said, setting a plate of pancakes in front of her.  "Then once it's set up, we'll have a decorating party!  Doesn't that sound like fun?"

"Yes, ma'am," Jess said, attempting a smile, but Annie immediately saw through it.

"What's wrong?" she asked with concern, placing her hand on top of Jess's head.  Looking into her caring hazel eyes, Jess tried to figure out how best to approach it.

"The blankets," she said almost in a whisper.  "They're still at the – you know."  Annie's expression changed as her hand dropped.

"They won't go there," she said soberly.  "I told you, Jess.  No one is allowed."

"Okay," she replied, but she wasn't convinced.  If Annie was willing to let her go as long as it was kept a secret, what was to stop James from doing the exact same thing?

"I need to wake up Doug," Annie said, smiling again.  "He looks forward to decorating the tree every year," she added before leaving through the butler's pantry. 

Jess ate her pancakes while she watched the horse even though her stomach was tied in nervous knots.  The image of James entering the cabin and then rushing out to alert her uncle filled her mind.  Making a mental inventory of everything Marty had left at the cabin, she knew it would be impossible for her to convince her uncle she'd been the only one visiting it.  And what would happen to Annie?

When Doug came in several minutes later, he looked liked he'd just rolled out of bed.  His hair was still messy from being slept on and he had dark circles under his eyes. 

"Good morning, Doug," she said quietly.  He grunted a response, refusing to meet her eyes, and she went back to her pancakes, suppressing a sigh.  He was still being distant. 

Ever since the night of his birthday party, he'd been acting differently around Jess, barely saying more than a word or two when she'd tried to talk to him during their drives to and from school.  And when he was home, he'd been staying mostly in his room, only coming out for meals.  She couldn't help being hurt by his sudden rejection of her, especially after learning how her uncle felt about her, but after thinking about why he might have changed, she understood.  It had to be embarrassing for him to know she'd witnessed his father being drunk and out of control that night.  Maybe he was even ashamed of the things his father had said about her.  Eventually he'd get over it and go back to treating her the way he had before, Jess decided.  In the meantime, she tried to not let it bother her.